Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese ~
Here is the recipe for slow cooker macaroni and cheese that I have promised a few readers. Cooking times vary depending on the slow cooker that you use. I generally use a large oval Crock Pot (not sure of the quarts as it has scraped off over the years). I have a 5 quart and it is nowhere near big enough for this recipe, though – you could probably half it for it. I like to cook this for Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you are counting calories, this recipe is not for you – but for an occasional holiday treat, it rocks!
You will need…
16 ounces pasta shells
8 cups shredded cheese (I like to use colby or cheddar and sometimes a mix of the two)
2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
3 cups milk
1. Cook the pasta shells on the stove like you normally would for macaroni (approximately 7 minutes). Drain.
2. Coat slow cooker with non stick cooking spray. (I use Pam)
3. In a bowl (or the pot you cooked the macaroni in), mix together the pasta, 7 of the 8 cups of cheese, all the evaporated milk, all the milk, and all the eggs.
4. Pour the mixture into the crockpot.
5. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the mixture.
6. Cover and cook on LOW for 4(ish) hours. Do not open and do not stir during the cooking process. Macaroni will be done when most of the liquid has evaporated and cheese starts to get golden. The mixture does start to harden after it cools, so I like to cook it just long enough to where there is a little liquid left. You may have to play with the time a little bit to see how best you like it, as i have been making this for several years. Remember, if you don’t cook it quite long enough, you can always cook it more. If you cook it too long – ah oh!
I hope you love it! My family does and they all give it 5/5 stars and it is one of their absolute favorite dishes!
Check this out if you prefer baked macaroni and cheese!