Thanksgiving With Sam’s Castle Wood Ham + Cheesy Ham and Turkey Soup Recipe #MealsTogether #cbias #spon

Sam’s Castle Wood Ham ~

Sam's Castle Wood Ham

I hope that you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving. I know that I did. I assume that most of you had a traditional turkey dinner, but have you thought about having ham for a holiday meal? We had Castle Wood Boneless Ham that we purchased at Sam’s Club and turkey for our Thanksgiving meal this year and it made for quite a tasty selection.

Sam’s Castle Wood Ham

Castle Wood Ham

I don’t think that we have ever had ham with our Thanksgiving dinner, so this was a nice change for us. We always have slow cooker macaroni and cheese for our holiday meals and ham just tastes so good with anything cheesy. My daughter also doesn’t love turkey that much, so she was especially pleased to learn that we would be having ham this year, as well. Also, our ham was purchased fully cooked which made for such an easy and convenient preparation. We might even pass on the turkey altogether next year and just have ham. :)

We thoroughly enjoyed the Sam’s Castle Wood Ham and definitely plan to purchase it for another family meal! Besides the Castle Wood Ham, this Thanksgiving we had turkey with stuffing, skin on mashed potatoes, slow cooker macaroni and cheese, green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. If your family is like mine, you had a LOT of leftovers. So, what did you do with all those leftovers? We made grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and Cheesy Ham and Turkey Soup.

Cheesy Ham and Turkey Potato Soup Recipe

You will need:

• 2 cups Sam’s Castle Wood Ham
  • 2 cups turkey {cooked}
  • 4 cups cheddar cheese {shredded}
  • 7 cups chicken broth
  • 6-7 cups potatoes {diced}
  • 1 cup celery {diced}
  • 1 cup onion {chopped}
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 10 tablespoons flour
  • 4 cups milk
  • salt and pepper to taste

Prepare: Combine vegetables, ham, turkey and broth in large stockpot and bring to boil and cook at a medium temperature until potatoes fall apart.

In another pot, melt butter on low and whisk in flour while stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Slowly add in milk without allowing the mixture to get lumpy. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens again. Add in cheese and stir until melted. Add the mixture from the 2nd pot into the large stockpot and cook until thoroughly heated.

Let stand a few minutes to let the soup thicken. Serve and enjoy!

See my Sam’s Castle Wood Ham shopping trip on Google+

Socialize With Sam’s Club

Like Sam’s Club on Facebook

I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Castle Wood #CBias #SocialFabric

Dawn is a full time lifestyle blogger that runs the ship that is Cheap Is The New Classy. She loves to do home decor and DIY projects, organize stuff, enjoy a nice cup of coffee and travel. She currently resides in North Carolina with her husband, Jay, teen daughter, Amber, and too many furry {and not so furry} friends to count.

Comments

1. Now that looks delicious! We always have a Ham at Christmas time and I LOVE Sams meats. Looks like I know where I will do my Ham shopping at this year!

2. That looks yummy. We always have ham at our house, I doubled it this year so I could have leftovers and then we had 4 unexpected guests so still no soup. I will buy one after Christmas to make soup with.

3. That looks so good! I would love to try the soup for next week when its supposed to get cold again!

4. Those sandwiches look amazing!! And the soup does too! Never had a ham soup.

5. YUM!! I have bookmarked this page for my after Christmas leftover food ideas.

6. Kristi Cartwright says:

This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

7. Victoria R. says:

Ah! I am loving your slow cooker recipes! I finally got a crockpot and now I have a new soup to try!

8. Yummy! That looks so good!

9. Gina Brickell says:

We have had ham along with our Turkey before, but I really love to stick with Turkey for thanksgiving and try to do a ham for Christmas.. That soup looks delicious!! But, what I really kept looking at was your slow cooker mac and cheese.. If you actually have time to read all your messages, I would LOVE for you to send me the recipe. It looks fantastic!!! My email is attached to this, but if you’re not able to view, it’s gina.marie1979@hotmail.com.. If you ever find time to do that I would greatly appreciate it :)

• There is actually a link to it above in the post. :) If you can’t find it there, do a search on my site. It is under What’s For Dinner. :)

Dawn

10. oooh you are making me hungry!! I will have to try that soup next time we have ham, we always have too many leftovers that get wasted!

11. I am now craving ham!
    This looks delicious!

12. Krystle(Baking Beauty) says:

We love soup, thanks for the great recipe! Also heading over to check out your mac and cheese one too!

13. The ham looks delicious. We will have to try that in my family because we love ham. The soup looks delicious also. My family loves mac and cheese and I will have to try your recipe for that. Thank you!

14. That Ham looks so Delicious! I am seriously craving a ham dinner now :)

15. We aren’t big ham eaters. The grilled ham and cheese looks really good though!

16. We usually have ham for Christmas dinner, but I wouldn’t mind subbing it for turkey for Thanksgiving!! That soup looks SO DELICIOUS!

17. Looks amazing! Love recipes with ham!

18. That looks delicious!! We had ham for Thanksgiving and it makes the best leftover food ever!! My favorite is eggs with ham and mashed potatoes and ham cakes! oh, I am hungry now!

19. Looks so good!

20. That soup is perfect comfort food. My daughter loves anything cheesy too.. If she’s happy, I’m happy :)

21. Now I am hungry. That ham loos so yummy and I love soup.

22. Wow. This looks amazing.

23. That soup looks amazing!

24. Your pictures are getting me so hungry. This looks absolutely wonderful!

25. Yum! I always make Turkey for thanksgiving but my sister in law makes turkey and ham for her meal every year. I LOVE ham but don’t make it often because my husband won’t eat it. That soup looks DELICIOUS and I pinned it for later!

26. Oh, that soup looks good!

27. That looks yummy! My hubby doesn’t like combining thanksgiving leftovers, but this might be an exception!

28. OH my gosh that soup looks SO good, even at 7 ish in the morning! We are new at Sams and just finding our way around still. We do love the snacks and such, but looks like we need to look into buying meat there too! We are not typical meal people anymore. Our kids love lasagna dinner and soup and salad for our Christmas Eve meal and on Christmas Day we eat leftovers or even go out for pizza! I am with you, the holidays are spent WAY too much cooking and cleaning up after. I have learned to do the traditional on some things but not over the top anymore. Have to look into your slow cooker mac and cheese . Looks like REAL comfort food for a cold winter! Thanks!

• My husband’s family sometimes has cavatini {sp?} for Christmas. I do love cooking a big meal so that you can have lots of leftovers later. :)

Dawn

29. william saylor says:

This looks yummy

30. This soup makes me want to make some ham just for the leftovers … yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

31. the food look great and then the soup look ike what my grand use to make and then she make turkey soup
    and then theleft over did not get wasted

32. This soup looks really good. I have it pinned to go back and try after Christmas.

33. Thomas Chappell says:

Oh this sounds amazingly yummy We are going to have to try this some time soon.

34. Jennifer Mae Hiles says:

Checking out a Thanksgiving post made me long for the holidays…not the weather associated with them…just the holidays! Looks fantastic and now I’m really hungry.

Haha! I saw a fireplace and a snow scene on TV the other day and it made me long for Christmas… the holidays will be here before we know it. :)

35. Robin Wilson says:

My son makes great potato soup and this looks like a delicious variation. I bet it would be good with some broccoli in it as well. This one looks like great comfort food! Another great recipe that I will be adding to my book! Thanks!

36. Have you ever tried this as a freezer meal? It looks so good! I’m wondering at what step to stop and stick it in the freezer before slow cooking it..

I have never tried to freeze it. If I do, I will let you know how it turns out and if you do, please let us know.

37. We buy this ham every year from Sam’s and it is very good

38. amanda whitley says:

this looks so good, we usually dont do ham on thanksgiving but we do on christmas.

39. Jo-Ann Brightman says:

We usually have ham around Christmas. There would be much too much food for both turkey and ham to be served. However, I love this recipe for Cheesy Ham and Turkey potato soup. I might freeze items so that I can put this together another day.

We are going to have ham for New Years so I wanted to read your post again. We have been so busy hat we forgot to get a ham. :) my daughter and I will go out tomorrow. Love your using leftovers for grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. I will have to make sure to get a big enough one for enough leftovers.

Hope you enjoy your ham. We didn’t get one this year, either, but we might have to venture out to get one. I really love the ham and cheese sandwiches. :)

41. Sandy Cain says:

It looks like a lot of prep work, but OMG! Look at all that cheese! I love cheese! (Married 2 cheesey guys, what can I say?)

A good ham sounds great for valentines tomorrow and you are right about cheese going well with it. I’ve never made – or thought about- cheesy ham soup but it would be warm and perfect for our cold weather.

Trackbacks

1. [...] other favorite shops was during the holidays. I got to go on a trip to Sam’s Club to purchase Castle Wood Ham. A fun shop and a nice holiday dinner? Yes, please! And that baby was precooked! Easy peasy! That [...]

Add Comment Register