The Benefits Of Experiencing A Theme Park In The Off Season #ad @carowindspark

The benefits of visiting a theme park during the fall #sponsoredCheap Is The New Classy

During the fall, my friends and I got the privilege of going to Carowinds and experiencing The Great Pumpkin Fest. I have never been to Carowinds other than during the summer so I wasn’t sure what to expect. To be honest, I think I enjoyed this past experience much more!

The Benefits Of Visiting Carowinds During The Fall

When going in the fall, you have many things to your advantage. For instance, instead of being hot and sweaty all day due to the weather and constant walking, you are more comfortable because the weather is so much cooler. Also, we barely had to wait in line for any of the rides that we rode. Keep in mind that my friends and I ride the big rides such as Intimidator, Afterburn, and Carolina Cobra. The only ride that we had to wait for was Intimidator and even then, we only had to wait for a few brief minutes.

The benefits of visiting a theme park during the fall #sponsored

Walking around Carowinds was extremely fun because we got to see the park in a totally different way. Although we didn’t get the privilege of experiencing Scarowinds, we did get to see many of the decorations for it! They were really high-quality and extra spooky. I might try to attend Scarowinds this year.

The benefits of visiting a theme park during the fall #sponsored

My favorite thing was probably the section for The Great Pumpkin Fest. This section of the park was centered in the kiddie rides. The whole thing was brilliantly done so that children had the chance to have a little pre-Halloween fun. For instance, they had a hay maze and a talking pumpkin. Also, as I walked around I saw many children marveling over the giant blown up pumpkins. I really adored how several children enjoyed their day at Carowinds while also wearing their Halloween costumes. While there, I saw a Spiderman, Little Red Riding Hood, Fairy, and many more! It was adorable.

The benefits of visiting a theme park during the fall #sponsored

What Happens When You Pass Out At A Theme Park?

Unlike most people, while on this last trip to Carowinds I got to experience something most people don’t – their medical staff. Yes, you read that correctly. While walking onto the platform to ride the Intimidator, I suddenly felt uneasy and dizzy. Suddenly, I awoke and found myself laying on the ground. An elderly man holding my head up and my friend Aaron holding my feet up. I had passed out. Instantly, one of the Carowinds workers came running to my aid with several cups of water and a wet cloth. After drinking the water and finally standing up, he assured me that EMT were on their way to evaluate me and make sure I was okay.

The benefits of visiting a theme park during the fall #sponsored

Once they arrived, I explained to them that I get dehydrated really easily and instead of drinking water all day like I should have been, I had been drinking soda. They then informed me that all the stands at Carowinds give out free cups of water to those that want them. I think that is wonderful because there are many people out there that tend to get dehydrated easily like me. After assuring them I was okay, they called my parents and spoke to them briefly and told them of the situation. Also, they told me that they had a place I could go to sit in the air conditioning, and that if I felt sick again, all I had to do was tell any Carowinds worker and they would seek help for me.

To me, this was incredibly kind and caring of the Carowinds staff. They didn’t have to help me in such a way, and the male employee didn’t have to bring me water and a towel. And yet, they did. I can’t tell them how much I appreciate it.

What Did I Learn From This Experience?

I am glad this happened in the Fall. Many people only really worry about their water intake in the summer, but you really need to work to prevent dehydration all year long. I am a person who is known to pass out and I have even been hospitalized for dehydration. So, I definitely should have been up on my game as far as the water was concerned.

Carowinds will be reopening soon. You can purchase Gold Passes for the2014 season now.

Socialize With Carowinds

Facebook / Twitter

disclosure-sponsored-post-300x91

About Amber {contributor}

Amber is a college student and avid fashionista. Amber loves all things beauty and fashion and spends her time reading and thinking about Channing Tatum.

Comments

1. We did a local-ish theme park (Canobie Lake in NH) in October, which is off season, and there was hardly anyone there. I will never go in the summer again.

2. Living in Orlando, I definitely know that visiting theme parks during the off peak season is a MUST! It definitely changes the entire experience completely. I can’t imagine waiting in line for 90 minutes at WDW like some people do….we get on even the most popular rides within 15 minutes all the time.

3. I’ve heard Carowinds is so much fun! So sorry you had a medical emergency while you were there. But good to now their medical staff is so good!

4. i love going to theme parks in the off season. you can’t swim and get wet but you aren’t fighting crowds and sweltering

5. Looks like a of of fun. I am sure the kids will have a blast.

6. My mom taught me long ago to always do amusement parks in the off season. Shhhhh don’t tell too many people or it will turn into the busy season!! LOL

7. Amy Desrosiers says:

That must have been super scary! I’m glad you were ok, and they took wonderful care of you! I’d love to visit Carowinds!

8. Great post and great tips. It’s always more fun to go in the off season!

9. Oh wow. What a story. I haven’t been to a theme park in ages. Never heard of this one either.

10. Oh my goodness. I’m glad you were okay! At least it wasn’t on a ride, that would have been more scary. It’s great to know they give out free water though. Most places still charge.

Funny you should say that! I am Amber’s mom and I used to pass out in my teens, too. I have learned more how to recognize when it’s about to happen and rarely pass out now. At any rate, I passed out on a ferris wheel once! The ride stopped and I came to, not sure anyone even knew, lol!

11. I’ve never been to Carowinds! It looks like a really fun park!

12. That looks like a really fun place to visit! Sorry your last experience there wasn’t your best one . I’ve passed out at parks before, but usually it’s after I go on a ride!

I guess I should clarify for Amber. She really did have a fun time after she passed out, though. They called me {I am her mom} and since passing out with her is a somewhat common thing, we agreed to let her stay at the park after she had water and cooled down. She was fine after that and went on with her day like nothing happened. She’s a trooper. ;)

13. This park looks so fun! I love riding the roller coasters with my teenager – looks like I’ll have to check this one out sometime!

14. It has been so long since we’ve visited Carowinds! We will have to make another visit soon.

15. Wow – I’m glad you were okay. Good to know that they handle those kinds of situations so professionally. We’ve done a theme park in the off season and loved how empty it was. But you do kind of miss the laughter and other noises that come with the crowds.

16. I’ve never been to the Carowinds. I love parks like this but dont get to any very often.

17. Wow, you’ve got me thinking about when I was at Carowinds last. It’s been forever! We always go to Dollywood which is super fun as well. Maybe this is year for a Carowinds trip.

Oh I love Dollywood, too. :) But Carowinds is closer to us and my daughter just loves the rides there. And I love the waterpark. They both have their good points. :)

18. I haven’t been to Carowinds in several years. It’s time to get back there, for sure. Glad to hear you were ok and they took good care of you!

19. Great tips! I had a friend who worked at Carowinds, but I’ve never been myself.

I bet that would be fun to work at a theme park…except for maybe the heat. I wonder if they get discounts or free admission?

20. I’m glad you were okay! That would have been scary. I haven’t been to Carrowinds before.

21. I’m always up whenever there’s a new theme park opening. Love going to this places as a child.

22. Going to theme parks in the off season is always best. I cannot stand walking around feeling sweaty and gross – the cooler weather is much better. I am glad that the staff at Carowinds took such good care of you when you got dehydrated!

23. How fun! I would love to visit here. We love going in the off-season.

24. Since Carowinds is our home park we love visiting. We usually get season passes and hubby likes to go to Scarowinds. Thanks for the tips!

25. Sounds like fall is a super fun time to visit! I’m glad to hear that you’re OK. Dehydration is not fun!

26. I love visiting our local park in the fall too. You get to go on so many more rides!

27. It’s such a great idea going in the off season. When you mentioned it not being so hot – that’s what sold me! That’s why I dislike amusement parks for the most part. It’s always so hot and miserable. When it’s like that, even the kids are in misery. Looks like you had so much fun…the photos are great!

28. We always go on vacations in the slightly off season. it’s always a little cooler and the lines are shorter!

29. We like to travel in the off season – we seem to see more and enjoy more. We also like to go to Six Flags on cloudy days – lots less people.

How scary! I’m glad you are ok and knew what to do. Good of them to be on the ball and that they make water readily available. I hadn’t thought about that but having free cups is nice as well as important. I’m glad that overall your experience was good and you can happily look back on it. The cooler weather, less people, and beautiful autumn colors would make going a good idea.

31. I must try this. I can’t stand amusement parks so I try to avoid them at all cost. Going in the off season is a really good idea.

32. I love theme parks too, especially off season. You don’t have to wait forever to get on rides

33. That does look like a fun time!! We had a chance to go to Cedar Point in October, but we couldn’t get our schedules right to go. I’d have loved to though. :)

Hurrah for Carowinds for offering free water w/o a hassle. And I’m glad their medical staff was right there when you fell!

34. They were very thoughtful and quick to react when you passed out. It’s nice to know the staff showed such concern. I really like the idea of visiting in the Fall when it’s not so busy!

35. Glad you are ok! Sounds like a fun park. Here in Orlando, we certainly know about off season at the parks. It makes the parks more enjoyable.

36. My family and I often travel off season as well. Disney World is packed during the Summer so we avoid it at all costs. But once the kids are back in school it’s not crowded and the lines are non existent. This makes me want to take a little vacation soon!

37. We visited Carowinds a few years ago and had so much fun! It’s an excellent amusement park!

38. I love theme parks! I don’t care if it’s in season or not, I’m all for going!! Especially with shorter lines!

39. I have never visited Carowinds BUT I have passed out on a cruise boat. That was not an experience I would ever want to do again

40. I love going to parks and stuff during their off seasons. You get the benefits of enjoying the park and the food without all of the fun, it’s such a blast :)

41. I love visiting parks in the off season. We can only go in the summer when my husband and i have off.

42. Sounds like you had a great time… minus getting dehydrated! Sounds like Carowinds is a great place to visit, I’ve never been. We did head over to a theme park last fall though and I’d have to agree, great time to go. We went for the weekend and had a great time.

43. I have been wanting to go to Carowinds for years!

44. I love when we can visit places in off season and have it too ourselves… The maddening crowds get to me in the summer so I stay away… Smart move.

45. I haven’t had a chance to visit Carowinds just yet but it looks like lots of fun in and off season! I’m glad that you were alright and it’s great that you received prompt and friendly medical attention right away! Passing out due to dehydration is scary–I’ve had a few instances and it really hits you out of nowhere (or so it seems).

46. We’ve never been to Carowinds, but it sounds like a fun amusement park! We actually prefer to visit most amusement parks in the off-season because there are less crowds and cooler weather :)

47. I try to get to a park at least once in the off season. Such a different experience

48. Mary Happymommy says:

My husband took our sons to this event last fall. It’s a great idea to have theme parks open at other times besides summer.

49. Yikes! That’s quite a scare, but I’m glad it was nothing serious. Off-season at the theme parks can be such a fun experience – and sometimes even more memorable than going during the peak season! Our favorite is Sesame Place and their Christmas and Halloween celebrations.

50. I haven’t been there in many years. We always go to parks during the off-season though!

51. It is a good idea to visit a theme park during the off season. It is nice to be able to enjoy everything without the overwhelming crowds.

52. Hi Amber, thanks for the write up, nice job! So glad you recieved good care from our First Aid staff. One other thing to mention is that there are water fountains located just outside all of our restrooms in the park. Thanks again, hope to see you in 2014! :)
    julie, Carowinds Public Relations

And thank you so much for taking care of my daughter, Amber. :) It can be scary sending the teens off by themselves, but I never worry when I send them to Carowinds. They always have a really fun time and come home safe and sound…and sleepy. :)

53. RICHARD HICKS says:

We live a couple hours away and love to visit. Off season is often more enjoyable!

54. Georgia Beckman says:

Our 4 children are raised & now we have 15 (almost 16!) grandchildren. We always did things like this in the off season. Mostly because when you go in the off season, you don’t have to wait in line for 2 hours to ride something! (however, there is always the chance that it will be unseasonably cool. Like the Labor Day visit to Six Flags in St. Louis……..we were freezing & ended up spending most of our loot on sweatshirts for the entire family, lol)

One good thing is that I am hot natured – so it has to be pretty cold before I start complaining. :)

55. I knew they had Scarowinds but I didn’t know about this…. how cool!