Tips To Help You Recognize and Prevent Dehydration #SafetyTips

Tips to Help Recognize the signs of overheating and to prevent dehydration

The summer weather is here and although there are many fun things to do, there is also the danger of dehydration. If you are like me, summertime can be really hard for you, especially on the days that it gets especially hot. I have a tendency to get overheated and often pass out. I have even become so hot that I have had to seek medical attention.

Dehydration Due To Heat

One time, we were at my cousin’s house and we were all playing on their tire swing. It was a very hot day and we were all having a blast. Suddenly, I started to feel really queasy and decided that it would be best if I went inside. As I got inside, I started to get extremely dizzy so I sat down on the couch. My grandmother and mom were there with me and suddenly I passed out and hit the floor. When I awoke, I was surrounded by my family and I could not remember what had happened. They sat me up and got me some ice water. After drinking the water and cooling down in the air conditioning, I felt much better.

Dehydration Due To Illness

Another time, I was not drinking water and staying hydrated like I should, though it really wasn’t my fault. For a few days, I kept getting sick and could not keep anything down. My mother took me to the doctor and they just told her to give me some Gatorade and for me to rest. We tried that for another day or so, and yet I just kept getting worse. So, my mother took me to the doctor yet again and they informed me that I was severely dehydrated and needed medical attention immediately! The doctor tried giving me an IV right then, but I was so weak and dehydrated at that point that my veins just kept popping. Soon, I found myself headed to the ER. When I got there, they put me straight into a room and prepped me for my IV. Again, they were having troubles getting the needle to stick in my veins. After many painful attempts, they finally got it. I stayed in the hospital for a few days so the doctors could watch me and make sure I was okay. After a few days I was back to being healthy and headed back home.

Possible Signs Of Dehydration

• Dry mouth
  • Fatigue
  • Decreased trips to the restroom including less urine than normal and constipation
  • Few or no tears when crying
  • Dry skin
  • Headache
  • Dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Orthostatic Hypotension {Feeling faint when standing up too quickly}
  • Muscle cramps and spasms

Seek medical attention when there is…

• Extreme thirst
  • Lack of sweating
  • Little or no urination โ€” any urine that is produced will be dark yellow or amber
  • Sunken eyes
  • Shriveled and dry skin that lacks elasticity
  • Low blood pressure
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Rapid breathing
  • Heart palpitations
  • No tears when crying
  • Fever
  • In the most serious cases, delirium or unconsciousness

Tips To Prevent Dehydration

• Drink plenty of water before, while, and after you are active or exercising.
  • When you will be exposed to excess heat, avoid coffee, colas, or other caffeinated beverages, as well as alcohol, as they can all cause you to dehydrate faster.
  • Make sure that you drink at least 8 to 12 glasses of water each day.
  • Limit your salt intake. Most people get plenty of salt in their diets. If you are concerned about yours, please consult a physician.
  • Stop working outdoors or exercising if you feel dizzy, lightheaded, or very tired.
  • Take frequent breaks.
  • Wear one layer of lightweight, light-colored clothing when you are working or exercising outdoors.

Note: You can also drink too much water. Please consult a doctor as to what is the correct amount of water for you to drink in different weather conditions.

How Do You Handle Summer Heat?

photo 9c6c7c76-8f81-4d23-a926-7a6dafee6d28_zpscda7f04e.jpg

About Amber {contributor}

Amber is a college student and avid fashionista. Amber loves all things beauty and fashion and spends her time reading and thinking about Channing Tatum.

Comments

1. Dehydration is common in El paso where we lived for 5 years, we drank a lot of water and tried to keep cool, in the summer when it reaches it’s highest temperature, if you go outside it better be for some type of water play ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh gosh! I think it is hot here in North Carolina. I would never make it in Texas!

2. as a nursing mom, i need even more water thank the average person. i try to drink a glass of water everytime i go in the kitchen for any reason (which is pretty often) and limit the other beverages i drink to one tea and one coffee a day!

3. Great tips, I am so bad about drinking enough water and sometimes do feel the affects of it :/ You made me realize how important it is to stay hydrated, thanks!

4. The Arkansas heat can be brutal! Drinking enough water and knowing when to stay out of the heat is vital!

5. Such a great reminder! It’s easy to get caught up in summer fun that you forget to take care of yourself. I have a big insulated water bottle that I fill up and take with me–I’ll remember to drink if I’ve got some nice cool water at hand.

That’s a great idea. It’s hard to have excuses not to drink it when it is right next to you. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. I try to drink lemon water all throughout the day, but often get busy and forget. Thanks for the signs and the reminders.

That is another great idea to remind people to drink plenty of water, too. If you want to change it up, you can always add some fruit slices.

7. Sarah L says:

I always have my bottle of water within arms reach. I’m lucky in that I really like water and prefer it to other beverages.

8. I always have water with me but I do get dehydrated. I get a headache right away so I know I have to take care of it. I don’t like being extremely hot either so I try to stay as cool as I can.

9. So important! I grew up in a desert and have always been very cognizant of water – thanks for the reminder!!

10. This is very useful for the summer especially for young kids and old people.

11. I think that I have spend most of my life being dehydrated. The thought of drinking a plain glass of water, makes me sick. I don’t know why I can’t get the stuff down, but it’s been a constant battle.

Maybe you could try putting some flavorings in them. I like Mio. Or maybe some fruit.

12. Great tips! Last summer was HOT – 100 degree days for weeks here in Illinois. We usually live at the pool, but it was almost too hot to even be there.

It was hot here in North Carolina, too. And a few summers ago we had a massive drought. It was just so humid and nasty out.

13. Excellent tips. It is so important to stay hydrated as the weather heats up and while we exercise.

14. these are great tips especially for the hot months we are in. I walk around with a gallon jug of water because im paranoid about getting dehydrated lol

15. A perfect reminder as we head into the dog days of summer!! Drink, drink, drink {water y’all} ๐Ÿ˜‰

16. This is absolutely perfect for this time of year! Dehydration is such a common challenge in summer and so extremely important to fight against and know the signs of! Especially in our kids. I always get the headaches when I get dehydrated.

17. Great tips. It is very important to drink water every day.

18. Jenna Wood says:

I drink as much water as I can, but I often worry about my pets- thanks for the signs and tips!

19. i try to drink water and tea constantly throughout the day!! i also make fruit water at home to drink and its a great alternative to plain water!!

xo,
    Sandy
    Sandy a la Mode

20. I wear a hat, use sunscreen and stay hydrated.

21. This is definitely super important to remember! It’s so easy to get dehydrated in the summertime! Stumbled and pinned!

22. Great tips, very helpful. Thanks!

23. I’ve been drinking watered with citrus juice and cucumber slices in it and it’s so good!

24. These are great tips. It is so important to keep hydrated in the summer!

25. Lots of water, whether we are drinking it or playing in it. We also try to add things to our diet that helps and I admit that some days we do gatorade – or similar products because here in Houston it can get HOT. Many afternoons are spent indoors. Mornings for outdoor play and lightweight clothing.

26. Jo-Ann Brightman says:

I learned to drink water FIRST THING IN THE MORNING and then every few hours after that on very hot days easpecially when the air conditioning wasn’t working.

27. Alex Roach says:

Great advice. Easy to drink a couple of glasses a day!

28. Sarah L says:

I re-read this post and it made me reach for my glass of water. I’ll drink some iced tea in the summer, but would rather have just plain water.

29. I’m not a huge water fan, but I do try to drink 32 ounces a day. This was very informative and I will try harder to drink more water and keep hydrated! Thanks so much for this article…

30. In the heat wave we been having lately we need to know this type of thing. Lots more water we should drink. We should also watch for signs of dehydration if we are out about in this hot heat. Be safe.
    thanks for this information

Trackbacks

1. […] Fall. Many people only really worry about their water intake in the summer, but you really need to work to prevent dehydration all year long. I am a person who is known to pass out and I have even been hospitalized for […]