13 Awesome Things To Do In Grenada

13 Awesome Things To Do In Grenada

Grenada is a Caribbean island nation located almost exactly half way between Trinidad and Tobago and St. Vincent and the Grenadines. It is comprised of one main island and 6 smaller islands surrounding it. Because of this hilly island’s nutmeg plantations, it’s often referred to as the “Spice Isle”. With its varied landscape, beaches, and tourism draws, there are no shortage of things to do in Grenada. We are heading to Grenada later this year, so I thought I would share some things to do there. Also, if you guys have any suggestions of what we should do and see, please let us know.

Things To Do In Grenada

If you’re looking for things to do in Grenada, you won’t have to look very far. This small island nation in the Caribbean is chock full of wonderful things to do for the entire family.

Grand Etang National Park

One of the most wonderful things to do in Grenada is take in its natural beauty, and Grand Etang National Park has it in spades. At 1,900 feet, this park is perfect for taking a cooling break from the Caribbean heat and taking in waterfalls, a gorgeous lake, and a large number of walking trails.

La Sagesse Beach

It’s not just a beach, it’s a Caribbean gem. This gorgeous cove has soft sand, clear waters, and palm trees all around. La Sagesse Beach is something out of a tropical fairy tale, and it’s right there waiting.

Scuba Diving

One of the best – and lesser known – things to do in Grenada is diving. It’s surprising that it isn’t known for its diving. It has a virtually untouched, unmarred coral reef, the world’s first underwater sculptures, and shipwrecks.

Hog Island

This beautiful island is just 10 minutes from Grenada proper by boat, and it features a lovely hiking trail and fantastic views. If you prefer the longer way, you can drive from Mt. Hartman Dove Sanctuary and walk across the bridge to the island.

St. George’s Carenage

Take in the beauty and culture of Grenada in its capital, St. George. Spend the day taking in the colorful city and enjoying the views of the water and boats all along the carenage.

Fort George

Looking for some excitement on this list of things to do in Grenada? Go tour a real fort! For only $5, you can visit this French fort constructed in 1705. It has spectacular views both from the wall and within. It’s a slice of history not to be missed.

Eat Some Fruit

You’re on a tropical island, so eat some super fresh tropical fruit! Grenada has startfruit, coconuts, cashews, apples, guava, soursop, passionfruit, and papaya. {This reminds me of when I was in Grand Cayman earlier this year. We saw a guy with a shopping cart full of coconuts. He also had a huge machete chopping the tops off. The machete kind of caught me off guard so I didn’t go get one from him, lol.}

Belmont Estate

Another of the great cultural things to do in Grenada is visiting Belmont Estate. This beautiful 17th century plantation offers beauty and education for visitors. Visit the gardens, goat dairy farm, and learn about cocoa and cocoa processing.

River Antoine Rum Distillery

Nothing says Caribbean like rum. So make one of your stops in Grenada one of the island’s oldest rum distilleries. They say everyone has a little Captain in them, so let yours loose, and see the oldest functioning water-propelled distillery in the Caribbean. {In my experience, you can also get rum cheap – and duty free – in the Caribbean}.

Go to the (Family Friendly) Races

Feel like you’re missing something? Why not attend a race? A hermit crab race. This is one of the goofiest and most wonderful things to do in Grenada. The Owl Bar on the southern end of Grand Anse Beach hosts a hermit crab race not to be missed!

Carib’s Leap

One of the interesting – and somewhat depressing – things to do in Grenada is visit Carib’s Leap. This historic spot located in Sateurs is where the native Caribs leaped to their deaths off of the cliff rather than be dominated by the French.

Petit Bacolet Beach

If you want to experience a truly untouched spot of beauty in Grenada, visit Petit Bacolet. This gorgeous black sand beach is untouched – completely. The only way to get there is to hike from St. David’s Harbor or Bacolet Bay. The path is overgrown and difficult to navigate, but if you can get there, it’s worth it.

Visit Laura’s Spice Garden

No visit to the “Island of Spice” would be complete without a tour of Laura’s Spice Garden. This 20 minute tour will teach you all about the nutmeg and other spices that Grenada is famous for and exactly how to use each and every one.

This list of 13 things to do in Grenada is just the tip of the iceberg of everything there is to see and do on this fantastic island. It’s a Caribbean playground just waiting to be discovered.

Have You Been To Grenada? What Should We Do While There?

Dawn is a full time travel and lifestyle blogger. Besides Cheap Is The New Classy, she also owns and writes for Eat Play Rock and State By State Travel. Her interests include traveling, home decor, DIY projects, organizing her home and enjoying a nice cup of coffee {or two}. She currently resides in North Carolina with her husband, Jay, and their fur babies.

Comments

1. Amy Desrosiers says:

For me, just getting there would be the first part of the battle. I just wish I wasn’t so scared of flying. I feel like I am missing out on so many beautiful places like this!

Take a cruise. That’s what I am doing. I don’t fly either. I am driving to the cruise and parking my car in their parking garage. :D

2. I have never visited Grenada, but it’s on my wish list! La Sagesse Beach sounds like it would be my favorite part, but everything sounds amazing.

3. This is such a lovely place to visit. I wish I could go there someday.

4. I’d love to visit Grenada one day. I’ve never been there, but I thoroughly enjoy that part of the world.

5. I’ve never been to Grenada, but I know it would be fantastic. I’ve been on a few cruises to that area, and it’s always gorgeous.

6. I have always wanted to go there! Traveling all over to different cultures is something that I love to do. I would have a hard time picking out what of what you listed above to do. I would want to do it all.

7. I’ve only intransit there and never stayed more than a few hours and just at the airport. It’s one of the island that I still have yet to visit.

8. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

I would LOVE to visit Grenada one day. It’s on my list of places I wan to go before I retire :)

9. What an amazing sounding place to spend some time, I would definitely like to visit. x

10. This seems like a great place to visit, I would love to visit there one day. Lots of stuff to do, I would try the Scuba Diving first!

11. Mandie Stevens says:

Wow! I never heard of Grenada. We want to go to the Caribbean with winter. I’m going to make sure that is on the agenda!

12. These all really do sound fun. It sounds like you should plan a long stay so you can do everything Grenada has to offer.

You could definitely make a full trip out of just Grenada. I will just be stopping there for a day while on a cruise, though, so I will need to choose one or two things. Gasp. Decisions, Decisions.

13. I never even really thought about Granada as a vacation spot. But that La Sagesse Beach sounds absolutely amazing! I want to go there!

14. There is indeed plenty to do in Grenada! It is now in my bucket list. I have never been there.

15. I just got back from a Caribbean cruise and those islands are really beautiful. Grenada sound a lot like Tortola with its moutains terrains and hills. The beaches are breathtaking and the food is amazing!

16. I have not been to Grenada but there seems to be a ton to do there! What a fantastic place.

17. Sounds like an amazing places to add to my travel bucket list. So educational to incorporate into our homeschooling.

18. Oh my goodness! I’m packing my bag to go now!!

19. I honestly never thought about visiting Grenada. The beaches sound wonderful.

20. The beach and scuba diving all sound so amazing about now. School is in session so maybe next summer.

21. Wow, who knew there was so much to do. I haven’t thought about visiting Grenada before… but now? Sounds great

22. I’m so impressed at how beautiful Grenada is. I definitely have to add it to my bucket list of places to visit.

23. I have heard of Grenada, but didn’t know you could do so many awesome things there!

24. Fort George sounds awesome. So much history and beautiful views is right up my alley!

25. These are all great things to do in Grenada. I have always wanted to go Scuba Diving.

26. I have never been to Grenada before. It looks so beautiful there. The Scuba Diving would be so beautiful.

27. I think it would be great to visit Grenada! I would love to go scuba diving there.

28. Jennifer Williams says:

I have a friend that lives down there so I would luckily have a personal tour guide. It is so absolutely beautiful and I hope to visit there one day.

29. I have never been to Grenada, but it looks gorgeous. Fruits, rum & beaches all the way for me :)

30. Wow, so gorgeous! This is on my bucket list for sure. What a beautiful place to visit.

31. What a beautiful sunset. Looks like a fun place.

32. I worked with a guy from Trinidad a few years ago, and he mentioned Grenada was beautiful! I’m not sure I’ll ever make it, but I’d love to go some day if I can.

33. It looks like you will have a fun-filled vacation. There are so many options. How are you going to choose?

34. So many great things to do and places to visit. I have heard that Grenada was really beautiful. I would love to visit the spice garden if I ever make it there.

35. Sabrina @ Dinner, then Dessert says:

Grenada is absolutely beautiful! We vacationed there a couple of years ago and had a wonderful time!

I have heard that it’s beautiful and cannot wait to get there later this year. I am glad that you had a great time.

36. Thank you for letting us know about this exciting place. I love vacationing in exotic places and learning about the culture. I wish I could visit Grenada soon.

37. I have always wanted to go there. I will make sure to do all this when I get the chance to go there.

38. Looks like a great vacation with many wonderful things to do to fill your time and sight see.

39. HopscotchNjb says:

Such a beautiful and lovely place to visit. looks relaxing I want to stayed there for a two weeks with my family i know they would love to go there someday

40. I would love to go to Grenada for a vacation. There are so many great things you can do here.

41. Grenada is Amazing you will love it there. Too bad your visiting via cruise, I went for a week and still didn’t get in all the things I Wanted to do. I hope you maximize your visit there and look forward to future post on the topic.