Facts And Tips For Dealing With Chronic Insomnia #sponsored

I participated in an Ambassador program on behalf of Influence Central for Pernix Therapeutics. I received a promotional item to thank me for my participation.

Ah, sleep. There is nothing more relaxing. There is also nothing more frustrating – when you can’t get enough of it. It’s vital to the body to get enough sleep. It helps our immune systems function properly, it makes our memory better and it helps our bodies function at their greatest capacities. In America, 4 million people suffer from chronic insomnia. This includes difficulty falling asleep and the inability to stay asleep throughout the night.

On average, nearly three-quarters of Americans (72%) are missing out on almost three weeks of sleep per year (470 hours).

What It’s Like To Have Insomnia?

I have suffered with insomnia for years. Let me tell you, it’s no fun – for myself or my husband. I suffer from the most common form of insomnia: the inability to stay asleep. Over 50% of Americans experience this particular type of insomnia. Many nights I will go to sleep around 11, 12 or 1, only to wake up somewhere 2 and 5 am. I try to go back to sleep, but I just toss and turn. I usually get up, since I don’t want to keep my husband up all night. He works outside the home, so he only has certain hours that he can sleep, whereas I work in the home and can take a nap {or naps} if necessary.

Facts and Tips for dealing with Chronic Insomnia

Naps or not, being without a continuous and reliable sleep pattern often leaves me feeling like a zombie. Today is a good day because I feel like I have “caught up.” However, I went on a trip last week and got very little sleep. I for 4 hours total sleep in 2 days while out of town. When I finally did get to sleep at a reasonable hour one night, I woke up after only a few hours sleep. It took me several days after being home to readjust and get to feeling somewhat close to normal again. This is what I feel like most of the time, though, trip or no trip. If you feel like this or if this is representative of your sleep patterns, it’s not normal and there are things that you can do about it.

62% of Americans regularly suffer from symptoms of insomnia, only 20% believe they have the condition and merely 12% have been diagnosed by a doctor.

Insomnia is not glamorous. It isn’t a badge of honor that people who work hard wear. However, some people view it is such. The fact is that we need sleep. It’s vital to our health and happiness. If you are not getting enough sleep or if you feel that you might suffer from insomnia, have a conversation with your doctor. You can also learn more about insomnia here.

Do You Presently Or Have You Ever Suffered From Insomnia?

disclosure-sponsored-post-300x91

Dawn is a full time travel and lifestyle blogger. Besides Cheap Is The New Classy, she also owns and writes for EatPlayRock.com, an entertainment site. Her interests include traveling, home decor, DIY projects, organizing her home and enjoying a nice cup of coffee {or two}. She currently resides in North Carolina with her dog, Daisy.

Comments

1. Great post about Insomnia…I have suffered so these tips will help!!

2. I had a brief bout of insomnia that lasted for about a week. It was the most horrible experience of my life!

3. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

The only reason I am awake at night is because of my husband’s snoring. It keeps me awake for hours sometimes.

That is the same here. If he doesn’t let me go to sleep first, he often keeps me up for hours, too.

4. Insomnia is the worst. Thanks for the great tips you have here!

5. I have suffered with insomnia for years. Thanks for these tips. I will definitely put them to use.

6. I suffer from insomnia when I’m under a lot of stress, and when I was pregnant. It was so frustrating to deal with! I can’t imagine having it regularly.

7. I have insomnia and it’s really tough. Especially as a mom.

8. Debbie Denny says:

This is a good post. It is hard to get the rest you need.

9. I have always dealt with insomnia and it is not fun. Nothing seems to work to help me sleep. I have tried many things but I will try these tips and hope for the best. Thank you!

10. I am a lifelong insomniac, I have been since childhood. I do not perceive it as a ‘badge of honor’ either, but I can say because of it I would write. I would read and write to relax even as a child, and that is probably why I am a writer now. I refuse to take sleeping pills so when I find myself up when the world is asleep, I write. Great post/share!

11. When I was in my 20s I had terrible insomnia. Now with kids I wish I could go to bed at 4pm!

12. All the years staying up with little ones, and now I should be able to get tons of sleep. Not so much. I need to try a different bedtime routine.

13. Insomnia is seriously the WORST. I suffer from it, and I have been trying everything. So thank you for these tips, I’ll be trying!

14. Some great ideas. I struggle off and on with insomnia.. but thankfully it has been a good week and I have been sleeping through the night. Will keep your post handy though, cause I am sure I am not out of the wood yet.

15. I have been dealing with insomnia for many years. OTC meds dont work. Prescriptions seem to make things worse. Mine stems from PTSD and even more now chronic pain issues. I find the most help comes from essential oils and sometimes herbal tea.

I think mine stems from chronic pain, too. I hurt one of my legs a few years ago and now, due to overcompensation, they both hurt. Ugh.

16. I think all bloggers have a touch of insomnia. My weird hours in front of a computer screen definitely gets to me at times

I do notice that there are a lot of bloggers up late at night when I am. There may be something to that.

17. I use to have insomnia really bad but it’s gotten better. However my husband still suffers from insomnia! :( I’ll have to share these tips with him!

18. I have really bad insomnia and have been taking medication for it, which I don’t like to do. Currently, I have my nights and days mixed up, so I am up all night and sleep all day. Whomp

19. Sometimes I joke and say I wish I had insomnia. In truth though, I know that I don’t. It doesn’t sound fun.

20. I don’t think I have insomnia, but cutting back caffeine would help me sleep better at night.

21. Insomnia is so terrible! I have only experienced it a few times. I feel so badly for those people who suffer from it all the time.

22. I always seem to have insomnia when I need sleep the most. Most likely stress induced, I’d assume.

23. I’ve saved this post for my husband. He struggles with getting a good nights sleep.

24. Insomnia is a real serious issue, I am glad you are sharing details about it. Maybe it will help others!

25. Elizabeth O. says:

People don’t take it seriously that is why only a few are diagnosed. I did suffer from this when I was younger. Now I’m sleeping better.

26. I am a great sleeper but when those times come that I can’t sleep it is usually many days or weeks and it is miserable. I’m a gal that needs her sleep!

27. Since I had my baby 19 months ago I’ve had insomnia. I never had problems sleeping before, but her random wakings after she was first born really messed with my sleep. I thought things would get back to normal on their own, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

It is funny how Amwricans “brag” about how little sleep they can function on. The statistics about drowsy driving are scary.

It does seem like once your sleep cycle gets out of whack, it is so hard to get it back on track. I hope that you are able to get the sleep you need soon.

28. I used to suffer from insomnia really bad after my first child. I got a job and then fell back into a routine. Working from home now, blogging keeps me up..

29. I have never experienced insomnia yet I do know that it can cause many health problems such as high blood pressure and heart disease. Sleep is vital.

30. Yes, I deal with this so thanks for the tips. Sleep is such an important part of good health. I’m going to take your suggestions.

31. I can fall asleep but get up to go to the bathroom at least 4 times a night. Once I’m up it’s hard to go back to sleep. I lay down an hour everyday. I never actually sleep but feel refreshed afterwards.