Mexican Plants: Flowers, Shrubs and Trees In Cozumel

Mexican Plants: Flowers, Trees and Shrubs we saw on our Caribbean Cruise port of call in Cozumel, Mexico

On our recent Caribbean Cruise, we were able to see a lot of the beautiful plants that grow in Mexico. These pictures were taken mainly from the cruise port of Cozumel, Mexico and the surrounding shopping area as it was beautifully landscaped. A few of the Mexican plants I recognize, but if there are any that you recognize, please tell us what they are called in the comments below.

Mexican Plants: Flowers, Shrubs and Trees in Cozumel

All of the photography in this post was taken with our new Nikon D3200 DSLR camera on a sunny day, and have not been altered in any way {except for the watermark}. We bought the camera not long before the cruise and are still pretty inexperienced at using it. If you would like to offer any constructive criticism that could help us take better pictures on our next trip, it would be highly appreciated. :)

Which Of The Mexican Plants Is Your Favorite?

Dawn is a full time travel and lifestyle blogger. Besides Cheap Is The New Classy, she also owns and writes for Eat Play Rock and State By State Travel. Her interests include traveling, home decor, DIY projects, organizing her home and enjoying a nice cup of coffee {or two}. She currently resides in North Carolina with her husband, Jay, and their fur babies.

Comments

1. Robin (Masshole Mommy) says:

I would love to visit Cozumel one day to see these in person. They are gorgeous.

2. We were at that same pier this past Friday on a Princess cruise. This was our 8th time to Cozumel and it’s one of our favorite ports. We have several of the same photos :-) Did you eat at Pancho’s Backyard right there at the pier? I’ve enjoyed reading your cruise posts as we love to cruise – it’s our favorite vacation.

Our cruise was a Princess cruise, too! We were on our cruise Jan 10-17. No, we didn’t eat there as we went to Playa Mia Water Park and ate there, but I will definitely keep it in mind next time. It was our first cruise, and we loved it. We will definitely do it again. :)

3. Cozumel has really beautiful plants. Great pictures.

4. All these pictures are making me want to go to Cozumel! It’s so pretty there, and not grey and cold like it is here. I love the palm trees the best because they let me know I am somewhere warm.

5. I rarely ever travel. :( Maybe when my husband and I retire we can start. Your photos are beautiful and make me want to be in Cozumel right now!

Thanks! I hadn’t done a lot of traveling except to go somewhere maybe 5 hours away until recently. Our child is almost 18, though, so that makes traveling easier.

6. Such beautiful pictures, I want to be there right now. I recognize some f the plants in the picture as plants we would keep in our homes here. Its amazing to see them out in nature.

7. I’m noticing that most of the colors are coming from the leaves and not the petals. That is really cool. You took those shots at just the right time!

8. Beautiful plants! I think I love the big pink one. I could not find the name but it is eye catching.

9. Such colorful plants! I’ve never been to Mexico before – but we were just looking at a spring break trip to Cozumel!

10. Debbie Denny says:

These are beautiful. I loved all the colors when we were there.

11. Oh Cozumel….someday we’ll meet. I love looking at flora and fauna of other countries. It’s so interesting to see how diverse it is from home.

12. Don’t they have the best colors? We have lots of these in Florida!

13. How beautiful, you got some amazing shots! Love seeing pictures from different places, it is snowing here now so this is nice to look at!

14. Wow, your camera did a great job. And that’s just the kind of place I want to be on vacation. It’s gorgeous.

15. OMG I wanna go on a cruise! How fun and I am loving all of the plants!

16. Gorgeous pics. I love the landscaping when we visited Cozumel.

17. Jess Weaver says:

Cozumel looks so beautiful! The plants are very interesting to look at. Great job taking the photos!

18. I would love to visit Cozumel one day. Your pictures are lovely and the plants, trees and flowers are pretty too. The colors are just beautiful.

19. I was in Cozumel last year. I remember all the beautiful plants, but had no clue what they were.

20. I love ALL the plants and flowers – yes, even cactus. Thanks for taking so many pictures with your new Nikon D3200 DSLR and sharing them with us.

21. These plants are gorgeous! Thank you for all your pictures!

22. Oh my gosh everything is so beautiful! Makes me want to go there right now!

23. Oh my your pics are beautiful! I wish I was there – it is so cold in Wisconsin!

24. Mexico is one of my favorite places to visit. I have never done a cruise but I hear so many horror stories on the news of cruises with no working toilets or running out of food and I get nervous about trying them.

You got some great photos! :-)

I have been on only one cruise {though I did just book my 2nd}, so I definitely can’t share a ton of advice. But running out of food and toilets not working was definitely not our experience. I think it has a lot to do with the cruise line you choose to go with as well as just random bad stuff happening. I did a lot of research before going and I am glad that I chose to go on one and look past the low percentage of bad experiences people have had {compared to how many go yearly}. It was honestly the most amazing vacation experience I have ever had.

25. It’s amazing how much life and character plants can add to different locations. Sounds like you spotted some good ones!

26. Those are some of the most beautiful colored plants. I think they would be beautiful to go and see.

27. Those are beautiful flowers and trees! Tropical plants are always the most beautiful in my opinion.

28. I came across your blog doing research for our own upcoming (first) cruise adventure. It was actually your packing list that lured me in. Thanks for that! It looks like Roatan and Cozumel are both beautiful places to visit and I’m excited to photograph them both. I saw that you were asking for constructive criticism on your photos, and I wanted to make one suggestion. Try crouching, laying down, or standing on something to change your perspective. I think that the iguana pictures specifically would take a whole new life if you got really low and on the same ‘level’ as the lizards. Humans are used to seeing things from our eye-level, and changing your perspective causes people to stop and take a second look. Works well for other pets and small children as well. Hope that helps!

Oooh, I love your ideas about taking pics of the iguanas. I wish I had done that now. I could have gotten some awesome closeups. And I love iguanas, so it wouldn’t have scared me at all. :)

We are going on another cruise in December, so I will definitely keep that in mind. Enjoy your first cruise! We loved ours. I hope you drop by here and let us know how it goes. :)

Beautiful colors and plant! What a vacation and fun experience! You did a really good job with the focus and zooming in. My daughter would suggest sometimes taking photos at a different angle or level. Also, watch the composition and rule of thirds instead of centering. Great job and thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the tips. I will have to look up “composition and rule of thirds” as I am not familiar with those terms in photography yet. I hope to take a class soon to help me, as well. :)

30. Karen Glatt says:

I want to visit Cozumel soon and see these gorgeous plants for myself! They are gorgeous. You took really good pictures of these plants and they are so colorful!

Thanks a bunch. Yes, seeing them in person is definitely the way to go. I hope that you get to visit Cozumel really soon.

31. CozKaren says:

The plants in your photos are common low-maintenance landscaping plants. There are many more very beautiful plants all over the island from a rainbow of bougainvillea and hibiscus, plumeria trees and so much more.
    I can identify some of the plants in your photos.
    Fuchsia and dark purple is Ti plant.

Variegated yellow, orange, green plant is Croton. http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/giam/plants_and_grasses/houseplants_foliage/croton.html

Red flower plant is Canna lily. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canna_%28plant%29

I cannot recall the name of the rusty red shrub in some of the photos.

Thanks for helping to identify these plants. :) I thought they were gorgeous. Low-maintenance is a bonus in my book. :D