10 Tips For Growing Super Long Hair #sponsored

Image 1
Cheap Is The New Classy

Anyone that knows me will tell you that I have super long hair. It has been for years – it’s just my thing. Super long hair isn’t particularly unmanageable, in my opinion, but you do have to keep it healthy. Otherwise it breaks off and you will never get much length to it. The first thing to growing super long hair is to start with the basics, you want to make sure that you use a good shampoo and conditioner to give your hair a great start.

How To Grow Super Long Hair

I have had super long hair for years. Here are tips for growing super long hair that have worked for me.

1. Don’t Wash It Everyday – Washing your hair everyday is hard on it. I wash mine every 2-4 days, depending on how oily it is. The older I have gotten, the less oily it has gotten.

2. Take vitamins – I take a daily multivitamin. I haven’t always done this, but when I do, I find that my hair and nails are healthier.

3. Be careful what styling products you use – Many products contain chemicals that are hard on your hair. Because of this, I am very selective about what products I use on my hair.

4. Cholesterol is good – No. Not heart damaging cholesterol, the kind you buy for hair. I use it once a month or so to help keep my hair soft.

5. Use a pick – I have used a brush on my hair a lot, and I have one that I am particularly fond of, but I find that a pick works easier to get tangles out.

6. Wear it in a bun – Putting my hair in a bun at night helps to keep it from becoming a tangled mess while I sleep. Then it isn’t such a hassle in the morning.

7. Never brush it while it’s wet – This is a rule that I do not always follow, but I show. Brushing and combing your hair while it is bad for it because it is more elastic then. But that doesn’t mean it will necessarily bounce back.

8. Avoid the heat – Blow dryers, flat irons, curling irons – it all damages your hair. If you must use these, please try to use a cream or serum to protect your hair before use and make sure to do conditioning treatments ever so often to repair damage.

9. Use chemicals sparingly – Back in the day I used to perm and color treat my hair. It was a mess and brittle when I touched it. Ah, the 90s, and it’s horridly unhealthy hair. Since then, I haven’t permed my hair in years and the last time I colored it was perhaps a year or two ago. My hair is much healthier because of it.

10. Back to the basics – Make sure to select a great shampoo and conditioner to give your hair growing venture a great start.

Did you know that Clear Scalp and Hair products are currently on Rollback at Walmart for $4.48? You can save even more on Clear Scalp and Hair products with the handy coupon below!

Save $1.50 when you buy any Clear product at Walmart. Clear gently cleanses and nourishes the scalp for hair that’s 10x more resilient, strong, and beautiful. Clear is the first and only hair care range with Nutrium 10 and is currently on rollback exclusively at Walmart for $4.48.

Save Money On Clear Scalp And Hair Products At Walmart

Image 1

disclosure-sponsored-post-300x91

Dawn is a full time lifestyle blogger that runs the ship that is Cheap Is The New Classy. She loves to do home decor and DIY projects, organize stuff, enjoy a nice cup of coffee and travel. She currently resides in North Carolina with her husband, Jay, teen daughter, Amber, and too many furry {and not so furry} friends to count.

Comments

1. …can you elaborate on 4. Cholesterol is good?

Sure. Cholesterol is a type of product that you put in your hair – very similar to conditioner but way more intense. You can buy it at Sally Beauty Supply, but I have also found it at Walmart, though I don’t know if they sell it there all the time. I keep it in the shower and wash my hair like normal but sometimes I use cholesterol on my hair instead of conditioner. You can leave it on a few minutes and then wash it out. If you want a more intense conditioning treatment, then put it on your hair while it is dry and then use a blow dryer on your hair for a few minutes. You can also go to the salon to get this treatment done. Either way always leaves my hair really soft afterwards. Hope that answers your questions.

2. I have super long hair but only because I haven’t cut it in a while. I only wash my hair 2-3 times a week (mainly bc I hate having to blow dry and style it after washing).

3. Those are good tips. I take Biotin daily and hardly ever bush my hair. I use a wide toothed comb. My hair is getting pretty long, it just tangles easily.

I will have to check into Biotin. I have found that it definitely helps to keep your hair detangled by keeping it in a bun or braid.

4. These are some awesome tips! I great my hair for a little over a year to get it just the right length I wanted for my wedding day! And no a little over a year later I chopped 14 inches off and donated! Maybe here in a few months to a year I will grow it out again! With these tips it should be easier!

5. My hair is really long and I normally have it braided or up in a bun as it just drives me crazy otherwise.These are some great tips.

6. I have naturally curly hair. I put products in it to keep the frizz and bay and have some sort of control over my hair. I’ve been washing my hair every day for as long as I can remember. On the days I don’t use product and just put it up, I still have to shower. My hair is really oily. If I blow dry it straight I can get away the next day with some dry shampoo but that is about it.

When I was younger, my hair was a lot like that. If I didn’t wash it everyday, it looked like an oily, greasy mess.

7. I remember someone suggesting to me that I Take vitamins to help my hair. I was suffering from a lot of breakage and it was really frustrating. The vitamins really did help!

8. These are great tips. I have always had long hair and I agree with many of these.

9. These are awesome tips. I recently cut off my long hair after growing it for 5 years!

How much did you cut off? Did you cut it really short? I always love when people have really short hair and then they show up one day with like a pixie cut or something and everyone is like “Woah!”

10. These are great tips. I have long-ish hair, but I’m not sure how long I really want it. I always pull it back into a ponytail if it’s too long!

11. I have a horrible habit of brushing my daughter’s hair while it is wet. Mainly because we have tangles for days if I don’t. :/

12. Love this, my hair grows ridiculously slow, I’m going to have to follow these tips!

13. Oh I TOTALLY brush when I’ve got wet hair. Old habits die hard!

Yeah, I find myself doing that at times, too, but I have really tried to stop doing that recently.

14. I just chopped off my super long hair, 13 inches in fact to donate to Beautiful Lengths to help make wigs for women with cancer. It’s really weird to have my hair this short, and I agree that long hair really required a dedicated maintenance routine.

That is great that you donated. It’s great to know that a simple act of cutting off your hair can help someone through a trial in life.

15. Great advice. I had long hair when I was younger.

16. I love this shampoo. It’s a great time to stock up on it!

17. I rarely wash my hair… maybe once or twice a week. I know that grosses some people out, but I also get a lot of comments on my thick, glossy locks.

Some people don’t need to wash their hair as often either, so as long as you feel your hair is washed enough, I wouldn’t worry about it. :)

18. My hair doesn’t grow past just touching my shoulders, and I do take a vitamin. I don’t eat meat though and I suspect that has a lot to do with it.

19. Ugh, I am so clueless when it comes to my hair. Mine has gotten thinner as I’ve gotten older, and now I have to wash it every day due to oilyness. I didn’t even know there was cholesterol for hair!

20. great tips! I am bad at taking care of my hair. these will be useful

21. My hair grows super fast. I don’t do much color anymore and I NEVER brush my hair! I do straighten it though….

22. These are great tips. I use a serum on my hair every time I wash it just to keep it (hopefully) healthy.

23. Thanks so much for these great tips to grow your hair longer. I had no idea that brushing your hair while it’s wet was bad thing!

24. I have been hearing so much about taking vitamins for hair. These are some great tips.

25. Some great tips for long hair and I can even use some of them for my short hair. Thx.

26. I used to have long hair. Not super long but long. Sounds like a great shampoo and conditioner.

27. Great tips! My hair is always long but sadly so thick and wavy it drives me nuts! I will try these!

28. Interesting tips! I like that they all promote healthy hair.

29. I’m trying to grow my hair out so I’ll be looking into your tips. I’m taking a hair vitamin but I do think I need to put it up more. The night tangles may be having an impact

30. Great tips! My hair is very long right now, but I’ve had some hair loss. Hoping all this advice will translate for that as well.

31. I have to be careful if I put my hair in a bun to sleep. Having it up with a band can actually cause it to break!

You’re right. You have to be selective about the hair bows and ties that you use. I hate the ones with the metal pieces that catch in your hair.

32. Wonderful tips! I am in the process of growing my hair out and it is taking quite a long time!

33. My youngest has curly hair, so I especially appreciate these tips. It can be so unruly at times. LOL

My daughter’s was really curly when she was little – like Shirley Temple. And both of ours is wavy now, so I know the pain, lol.

34. Great tips! I always brush my hair wet! Yikes, I didn’t know that was bad!

35. Brushing while not wet is tough for me. I get so knotty!

36. This is a great list of ways to grow your hair out. I’m growing my hair out and love how long it’s grown!

37. I love this brand. I used it on a trip once and my hair did not feel weighted down at all.

38. Ann Bacciaglia says:

I have tried these products. I found my hair felt clean ans had a nice scent. My hair was shiny and full of bounce.

39. Amy Desrosiers says:

My hair is growing like a weed lately. I do not use this shampoo, but would love to eventually try it once Irun out of my current shampoo.

40. I use Biotin and collagen supplements and drink Shakeology every day. That has helped my hair some, but my nails a lot.

41. I cut most of my hair off a few months ago and have been debating whether I’d like to grow it out again or not. Thanks for the tips for healthy hair!

42. Great tips! I need to try cholesterol on my hair!

43. These are really great tips! I’ll definitely keep these in mind. Thanks for sharing.

44. My hair is almost TOO long! I need a trim for sure.

45. Great tips! I would like to be able to skip washing some, but my hair gets so oily.

46. Great tips! Maybe if I follow some my hair will be longer. :]

47. I am in process of growing my hair out. Have been for the last two years. I have skipped using a brush and just use a wide tooth comb after I wash my hair. I started using Argan oil last winter and it keeps my hair soft. Doing most of your tips already, I cannot remember the last time I used a blow dryer, lol. I get my ends dusted every couple months by my boyfriend. I do not want to lose previous inches when a brain dead stylist chops off several inches when a 1/4 inch trim is requested. That has happened to so many women I know.

I have had that happen, too. One hairstylist that I used to go to hated my hair long and I really got sick of hearing her tell me that I should cut it off. When you pay for a service, you are the boss, not the other way around. Like you, I can’t remember the last time I used a blow dryer either. It would take way too long to dry my hair anyway, lol. I need to try Argan Oil. :)

48. I’ve wanted to try these since I saw the commercial for them. I also don’t wash my hair everyday I wash it a couple times a week and use dry shampoo and a shower cap in between washes.

49. I’m starting to hate all the heat damage I feel my hair is getting. I need to treat it better!

50. I have had very long hair and I have had very short hair. Luckily for me, my hair grows fast. I know some people will disagree, but I think long hair is easier. I admit I haven’t heard that we shouldn’t brush while our hair is wet. And, cholesterol is good? Didn’t know that either.

I have had really short hair, too, like when Faith Hill had hers chopped off. I am with you. I think long hair is way easier. Short hair always has to be styled and I have naturally wavy hair, so I get hair that wants to go whatever way it wants to. Long hair can just be put in a ponytail or a bun if you don’t feel like fooling with it.

51. The Argan oil is great, last winter I was getting a lot of tangles and dryness at my ends, a few coworkers, including who had recently chopped her hair off into an uneven reverse mullet style, told me I needed to chop off a good 4-6 inches to remove the damage. My boyfriend told me I just needed to keep more moisture in the dry ends. He bought me the oil and asked me to hold off a few days before I asked him to cut it. Well the oils works great and even controls the frizz in the humidity. Net result, I did not ask him to take off several inches and my hair is getting longer. It is almost to my elbows now, my goal is to my hips

Mine is almost to my hips. :D I will definitely try that Argan Oil soon then. Thanks for the tip!

Oh, and what exactly is a reverse mullet? I am envisioning something like what Big Boo has on Orange Is The New Black…

52. A reverse mullet is short in the back, long in the front versus the other way around. The woman had hers to her collarbone in front, shaved have way up the back of her head. Kinda hacked around it like they used a hatachet.
    To your hips, that is so cool. You must have someone encouraging you to keep it/grow it long as I do so I don’t have a bad day and just chop it off. There are so many women that feel it is OK to walk up to me and tell me I should cut my hair as it is too long, even if they do not even know me. I think it is extremely rude. I would not go up to a person who was overweight, poorly applied makeup, etc. and tell them I do not like their style, fix to the way I like.

Ah, thanks for the info on the reverse mullet. :)

Also, if there is one thing that I have learned in life, it’s that no matter what you look like or what decisions you make, there will always people offering unwanted advice. ;)

Add Comment Register