Watermelon, Honeydew, Cantaloupe… Santa Claus Melon? What The…

The Santa Claus Melon, also known as the Christmas Melon, is a melon similar in appearance and taste to either a cantaloupe or a honeydew.

My husband and I went to the grocery store last night specifically looking for some fresh produce. We like to get this at the local flea markets, farmer’s markets, etc., but it just didn’t work out this weekend. At any rate, my daughter specifically asked for a cantaloupe. Right beside the cantaloupe was one lone melon labeled “Santa Claus Melon.”

Size comparison between a Santa Claus Melon {front}, a cantaloupe {back left} and a pineapple {back right}.

What The Heck Is A Santa Claus Melon?

I have never heard of such and thought this might be a joke or something. So, I got my husband to check the sign closer and sure enough, it said Santa Claus Melon. At any rate, we decided to try it. How bad could it be, right? I figured Amber and I would eat it as Jay doesn’t like melons at all. *gasp*

We took it to the register and the cashier didn’t know what it was and asked us. Ha! I have also asked several people today if they have heard of it. Nope. Not one. So, I thought I would write a post to inform the masses. :)

The Santa Claus Melon sliced in half.

We sliced it open and found that it looks similar to the rind of a watermelon or what a honeydew melon might look like if it was washed out. The outside was very similar to a cantaloupe in texture and a watermelon in color. Knowing nothing about the Santa Claus Melon, we have no idea if we picked a good one, however, it was very heavy for it’s size, and all internet indications tell us that is a good sign.

A Short History Of The Santa Claus Melon

According to WiseGeek, a Santa Claus Melon is a melon in the muskmelon family {another melon that I have not encountered}. It is also commonly referred to as a Christmas Melon.

On the left is a cantaloupe half and on the right is a Santa Claus Melon half, for comparison.

But Does It Taste Good?

I have read online that there are plenty of ways to eat this – pretty much like you would any other melon. My husband cut the Santa Claus Melon, the pineapple and the cantaloupe up and put the pieces in a bowl together and added blueberries. He, of course, didn’t like it {as I said earlier, he is not a melon fan}.

I thought it tasted fabulous! The Santa Claus melon tasted similar to honeydew, but it was a lot sweeter and juicier. I would go as far as to say it is better than either a cantaloupe or a honeydew. I can’t say it’s better than watermelon, though. That is my fave. :) If you haven’t tried it and you are a fan of melons, you definitely should, if you can find it. I would love to know what you think.

Have You Tried Santa Claus Melon? What Did You Think?

Dawn is a full time lifestyle blogger that runs the ship that is Cheap Is The New Classy. She loves to do home decor and DIY projects, organize stuff, enjoy a nice cup of coffee and travel. She currently resides in North Carolina with her husband, Jay, teen daughter, Amber, and too many furry {and not so furry} friends to count.

Comments

1. Elizabeth Matthiesen says:

I’ve never heard of a Santa Claus Melon before, it’s completely new to me but it certainly sounds like it’s my kind of fruit, I’ll certainly be keeping my eyes open for one. How did prices compare?

I should have added that. I am about 100% sure that we paid $2.50 for each of the fruits pictures {pineapple, cantaloupe and Santa Claus Melon}. However, I think the correct price of the Santa Claus Melon was a bit cheaper, but the cashier rung it up for the wrong thing and I didn’t catch it. So, make sure you pay attention if you buy one – it might save you a few cents. :)

2. I have never heard of it, but it sounds like something I would like. I wonder where I can get one around here.

3. I have never heard of this kind of melon before.My hubs loves melons but I am not that keen on them.

4. That’s fascinating! I’ve never heard of it before but will definitely have to see if I can find one!

5. I have never had it but will keep an eye out. Definitively would appreciate it being sweeter to honeydew

6. I’ve never heard of the Santa Claus Melon, I need to try this!

7. Thank you for the info. I’m going to look for these. Just gave me an idea for something to bring to a Saturday afternoon party this weekend.

Good luck. I hope you are able to find one. We got ours at Food Lion, in case you want an idea of where to start your search.

8. Is it wrong to say I like your melons? LOL I’ve never heard of the santa claus melon before now, quite fascinating. I’m a big fan of melon, especially in the summertime. I love the side-by-side comparison you have featured here! Your images are Pinterest gravy! Thank you for sharing!

Oooh thanks! I like my melons, too! My husband actually took the pics, cut the melons and everything. I just did the write up. He’s pretty helpful, so I think I will keep him. :D

9. I have never heard of a Santa clause melon in my life. It looks yummy.

10. I have not tried it but it sounds amazing. I like my fruit to be sweet and juicy.

11. This sounds delicious! I’ve never tried a Santa Claus melon before, but I’m a melon fiend. I’m sure it will be devine.

12. Never heard of it before but very interesting! The Chef is not a big fan of melons either. I’d like to give it a try though!

13. Amy Desrosiers says:

I had no idea that this existed! My husband may be growing some..i know he even has “Amy Melon” lol..no idea what that will taste like.

14. I was going to say it looks just like honeydew. I have never seen this before.

I agree. It looks a lot like honeydew. It’s sweeter, though, and about as juicy as a peach.

15. I have such high allergies to fruit so I’ve always been afraid to melons but my husband loves to scoop fruit into shapes for the kids. They love it.

16. How cool! I wanna go look for a Santa Claus melon now :P

17. Wow, I have never heard of a Santa Claus melon. Would love to find one.

18. I’ve never heard of this before! I wonder why they call it that? I’m totally going to the grocery store tomorrow and asking the produce manager for a Santa Claus Melon, just to see what he says LOL

I think that I read on one of those rumor type sites that the reason they call it that is because way back in the days of super slow transportation, it would show up in the US at around Christmas – this Santa Claus melon. But I don’t know for sure. I definitely think you should ask for one at the store, lol!

19. I have never heard of a Santa Claus Melon! I am going to be on the look out for one so I can try it!

20. Wow you learn something new every single day. I have never once heard of this type of melon.

21. I have never heard of Santa Claus melon! Next time I head to the farmer’s market- I will be keeping an eye out!

22. Haven’t heard of Santa Claus melon but I want one. Honeydew is my fave. Also a musk melon is really what we know as a canteloupe. :)

23. Ann Bacciaglia says:

I have never heard of Santa Claus melon but it sounds interesting. I don’t think that you can buy it around here but I will take a look for it.

24. I have never had this melon, love the name! Love melons, this sounds refreshing!

25. Gwen H. says:

Hi Dawn: Thanks for the information. I never had heard of a Santa Claus/Christmas melon.

26. I haven’t heard of this before, and we are BIG melon people! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

27. I’ve never heard of it either. Count me in the masses. :) I’m glad you liked it!

28. Awesome, never heard of this! Looks great!

29. I’ve never even heard of a Santa Claus Melon! What a strange name for it, but it sounds like a fun experience to try for the first time.

30. I love fruit, but somehow these are the ones that I don’t love. I don’t mind them in juices though

31. I’ve never heard of a Santa Claus melon. But with as a melon fan, I’ll be hunting one down! I wonder if our local farmers market might sell some.

That would be a good place to check, I imagine. We bought ours at Food Lion, which is the only place I ever noticed seeing on, but I will be looking for them, specifically, from now on.

32. Ruth Thomas says:

We grew these in our garden this year to try something new. We have shared with numerous people & the consensus is “best melon ever”! Funny thing is; we didn’t keep seed packet & couldn’t remember what we had planted, so I came to the trusty internet to figure out what they are in case our seed gets misplaced…wanted to make sure we plant these next year. I don’t know if they were called something else in the seed catalogue….hard to believe we would forget Santa Claus Melon. Will be the only melon we plant from now on!

I am glad that you enjoyed them. You are the first person that I have run across that have ever heard of them. In my internet research, I learned that they are also called Christmas Melons, if that helps any.

Trackbacks

1. […] new melons that we have been finding at the local farmer’s markets. For instance, you can read about the Santa Claus Melon here, if you are unfamiliar with what that is. As far as other melons go, I generally eat them plain, […]

Add Comment Register