Save Big Bucks On Your Cell Phone Service With #FamilyMobileSaves #cbias #sponsored

I am a member of the Collective Bias®  Social Fabric® Community.  This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias®  and Walmart Family Mobile.  #FamilyMobileSaves #cbias #SocialFabric

Walmart Family Mobile Plan

I have been a US Cellular customer since 2005 or 2006. And I must admit, I have really enjoyed being with US Cellular until they adopted the “Belief Plan,” maybe a year or so ago. Bravo to all of you who love this new plan, but I find the “Belief Plan” confusing. I don’t want to deal with a “points” system and it also isn’t lost on me that every time they offer me this belief plan, it is $30 more per month than my current contract. Oh, and they offer it to me every single time I call. For anything. No matter how many times I have told them I am not interested and have asked them to stop. So, I decided to expand my options and start looking elsewhere.

Can Switching Cell Phone Carriers Save You Money?

Currently, we have a 5 line plan with US Cellular. That costs us around $250 a month. We get unlimited video and picture messaging, but we have a shared minutes package and only 2 of us have smart phones. I never really thought that this plan was unreasonable in price {and compared to the belief plan, it is much cheaper}. We live in a somewhat rural community and US Cellular was our only cellular service option for years, so it was just a given to sign up with them. Then, slowly, other companies started joining the mix in our neighborhood, so now we have several options to choose from for cellular service.

walmart getting started

Walmart Family Mobile Plan

So, we decided to try out the Walmart Family Mobile Plan Powered by T Mobile. This plan claims to offer Unlimited Talk, Text and Web for $40 a month for the first line and $35 a month each additional line. What??!! Enter the skeptic in me. You know what they say about something that seems to good to be true, right? I am no mathematician, but I know that if what they claim to offer {no hidden fees, etc} is actually true, then our 5 line plan could be cheaper AND we could get more for our money if we switched to the Walmart Family Mobile Service. We each could have a smart phone, plus, Walmart Family Mobile is no contract. Personally, I don’t mind a contract, but if we do decide to switch to the Walmart Family Mobile plan after this test period, it will stink that we are on contract with US Cellular.

Walmart Family Mobile Plan Versus US Cellular Samsing S2 smart phone

Samsung S2: US Cellular {left} and Walmart Family Plan Powered by T Mobile {right}

US Cellular vs. Walmart Family Mobile Savings Breakdown

What We Currently Have With US Cellular

• 5 lines {2 of which are smart phones with data packages}
  • 1500 Nationwide Minutes {shared between 5 lines}
  • Unlimited Text and Picture Messaging
  • Monthly Total: $253 {including tax}

What We Could Have With Walmart Family Mobile Powered by T Mobile

• 5 lines {all smart phones with unlimited web}
  • Unlimited Nationwide Minutes
  • Unlimited Text and Picture Messaging
  • Monthly Total: $180 + tax {paid easily at Walmart, by phone or on My Family Mobile}

Samsung S2 from T Mobile

How Does Walmart Family Mobile Stack Up Against US Cellular?

So, saving money always sounds good to me, so we are currently trying out the Walmart Family Mobile Service to see how it stacks up against US Cellular’s service in our area. Basically everyone we know in our area uses US Cellular, so we didn’t really know anything about T Mobile beforehand. We received a Samsung S2 phone to try out the service with. This phone is the exact same phone as the ones that my daughter and I have with US Cellular. So, now my husband is using a smart phone, too.

Walmart Family Mobile Plan Starter Kit

NOTE: We did have to purchase a $25 Starter Kit to activate the phone. You will need one of these for each phone you activate – but it’s a one time fee. However, US Cellular has recently adopted a $30 activation fee, per line, so Walmart is still cheaper.

walmart receipt

He works about 45 minutes from home. He drives the interstate to work, so he has to be able to get in contact with me and/or work if there is a delay, accident, etc. We have been using the T Mobile Samsung 2 phone for approximately a week now and have had no problems. There have been no dropped calls and we have found no areas where we can’t get service. It is definitely comparable to US Cellular as far as the coverage goes in our experience so far.

However, the real test is over time. I will be writing an update in about a month after we have had more time to try out the Walmart Family Mobile Service Powered by T Mobile. Be sure to come back and see how our experience goes. :)

Do You Have Any Questions About Walmart Family Mobile Powered by T Mobile?

If so, I will try to get them answered for you. :)

Learn more about my shopping experience on Google+.

Walmart Family Mobile T mobile

disclosure-sponsored-post-300x91

Dawn is a full time lifestyle blogger that runs the ship that is Cheap Is The New Classy. She loves to do home decor and DIY projects, organize stuff, enjoy a nice cup of coffee and travel. She currently resides in North Carolina with her husband, Jay, teen daughter, Amber, and too many furry {and not so furry} friends to count.

Comments

1. I’m going to have to compare that multi-line plan to my current plan with MetroPCS. I haven’t had a contract in 17 years. I started off with Verizon and nearly kissed the earth when I was free of the contract. $200 plus a month? I’ll never understand why someone would pay that. I guess you guys were doing good ’cause I know people who may that for one line. Makes no sense to me. I started off paying about $40 a month with MetroPCS and now pay $55. I think I have $5 a month for insurance or something like that. I need to get at least one more cell soon for my children. My son, 9, isn’t responsible enough yet. He loss the extra free phone I had and he says he lost it in the house. Funny, no one has been able to find it.

He was only allowed to hold onto it at home, take it over a friend’s when instructed and remember to keep it charged. Didn’t happen. The next one I’ll give to my daughter who is 8 and way more responsible. She already stays after school for her social group and sometimes other things. The youngest at 6… hmmm? I see children her age, but I don’t see it as necessary yet. She’s seldom without a sibling or a mommy. LOL

I don’t mind any drop calls, for the price, and I have noticed that others with more expensive plans have just as many dropped calls, etc. So, I’ll still to my $55 a month for now then compare MetroPCS to the Walmart family one as soon as we’re ready. Thanks for the info… Great post.

Oh, by the way, my oldest daughter who is 21 is also named Amber. :-) Love that name. My other children’s names also begin with the letter A.

I am sorry that your son lost the phone…ugh. I hate that. These phone plans can be ridiculous. It is definitely one of our most expensive bills, at this point. Good luck if you decide to make a change.

Love your daughter’s name. ;)

Dawn

2. Wendell Knight says:

Our full-service plan is powered by T-Mobile. That means full-service Customer Support and unlimited nationwide calling — from anywhere in the U.S. to any U.S. number ( see coverage map ). Plus, you can monitor and manage your account (including paying monthly bills) online at myfamilymobile.com .

3. I think my mother pays $150 for 4 lines on AT&T currently, 3 of which are smart phones. This seems much cheaper, but I have a personal bias against Wal-Mart’s business policies. I would definitely consider this, however, when I take myself off her plan. Unfortunately, I don’t know how well the coverage for T-Mobile is in Oklahoma. I know it used to very spotty.

I was really worried about the coverage for T-Mobile here, too, but {so far} we have had no problems at all. I will be writing another post about our experience in the first week of June, so I can let you guys know more then.

Dawn

4. Nancy Carr says:

Sounds like a great phone deal. Thank you.

5. Can’t wait to read your follow-up because that’s a significant difference in price. Wow.

6. That is significant savings through Walmart Family Mobile, especially when you consider that you could all have smart phones! I know this plan would save my family a lot, also. $70 a month or so really adds up over the course of a year! Thanks so much for sharing your experience and I’m looking forward to reading more!

7. Bre Dale says:

I’m so glad you posted, we have been considering the Walmart plan to save money. Do they do that comparison for everyone for free? Also, I didn’t see you mention the cost of the actual devices at Walmart? Did you price them? Thanks!

Walmart did not do that comparison. I actually did that myself. I would always trust mine more anyway. ;) That’s just how I roll.

If you know how much your plan is, it’s really easy to do it yourself, or I would be glad to help you with that if you want to leave your pricing info in the comments. Also, the phone that I got {the Samsung S2} is $300. We got 2 Samsung S2s from US Cellular in December for $99 {they were on special – buy one for $99 and get one free – but you also had to get a 2 year contract for each line}. So, initially, if you don’t take into account the contract, the phones from US Cellular were cheaper. However, my daughter’s phone broke a week later {she apparently dropped it, though she says she doesn’t recall doing that} and we called US Cellular and they said it would cost $800 to replace it {that is $500 more than Walmart}. **GASP!** So, we paid $150 to replace the screen only.

So, I think that unless you also want to pay the $5 per line {$25 a month for us} insurance, then Walmart’s phones are cheaper {at least with the Samsung S3}. And $25 adds up a lot over time.

• Bre Dale says:

Thank you!! That answers a lot of questions for me!! My last which you won’t be able to answer will just depend on the service in my area…I’ll have to ask around. Sounds like a great deal all around, or at least in the long run!

No problem! I was most worried about the coverage. That has proven not to be an issue at all. :) We are very pleased so far!

8. We have Verizon at the moment because they are the best carrier in the area we live in, but it’s a really old plan and we have been grandfathered in for so long I am not sure we will ever leave. We have unlimited calling, text for four phones and 3 phones have unlimited data and we pay less than $150 a month.

We have ok service and have thought about changing but the other plans are so expensive so we might give Family Mobile a look.

That sounds like a good deal. Our plan from US Cellular is also a grandfathered plan, but it’s definitely not that cheap after adding all the taxes and such. At the time we got our plan, they were pretty much the only choice in our area. After looking around, I realize there are many more choices now that I just wasn’t aware of. :)

9. Jenna M Wood says:

I purchased my prepaid phone at WalMart, but I use regular TMobile prepaid service. I see the WalMart plan goes through t Mobile, so I might just have to look more into it!

I would definitely compare them and see which is cheaper {and better} and go with that one. :)

10. Thanks! I have been looking into getting a new service carrier!

11. I was going to ask about covereage and you answered it right at the end. Are you finding you have to pay extra because of 1gb download?

We haven’t paid our first bill yet, and I will definitely be letting you know more for sure {when I do my follow up post the first week in June} when we get that bill. Hopefully there are no surprises, but as it looks now, no we are not paying anymore for the internet, downloads, etc.

12. I have been trying out this plan for a few weeks now and I am in love so far! The service is just as good as my old provider. No break in service. No Dropped calls. And yet it is so much more affordable! I am really liking this option for Cell service especially when the kids get old enough to have cell phones.

13. I didn’t even know there was a Walmart phone plan…I may just have to take a closer look since I’m paying quite a bit right now for our phone bills.

14. Great review. My kids are still too young to have phones, but something we will consider in the future for sure. I love how thoroughly you compared your plans and experiences.

Thanks a bunch. :)

My daughter has had a phone since age 9. A lot of people said that was WAY too early. The reason we got her one so young was because she participated in a lot of sports and after school activities, so we felt it was the right decision for us. We did sit her down and have a talk about minutes, texting etc and we only allowed to call and receive calls from those numbers programmed into her phone. It worked out well and she still had never gone over her minutes even once {she is 16 now}.

15. this would save our family a great deal but i am a little worried on how well the coverage is also. I guess trying out is the only way to tell!

16. We have had our cell phone service through T-Mobile for years now and we love it! Right now it is just me and my husband but as kids get added on I will definitely be checking out this plan at Walmart! Thank you for sharing.

17. I’m anxious to see what you think after some time passes- I hope they have you do an update too. My husband needs a phone but he’s a stickler about not paying much. I”d really like to find him an affordable option

18. I have been meaning to check out the cell department at Walmart, looks like they got some great plans & offers!

19. This is all helpful info. My 10 year old and I talk about his wanting a cell phone almost daily. This helps me to think about how to shop for him. He is not getting the expensive device I have!
    Mitch

Yeah, you definitely don’t want to shell out big bucks for your kid’s first phone. You can even bring your own unlocked phone in, so buying one from Walmart isn’t even a necessity.

20. Wowzers!!! I was not aware that Wal-Mart offered this. My oldest son (tween…help me!) is need of a cell phone for travel between visiting his dad (a flight with 2 connections solo), school field trips and spending time with friends on the weekends. I’m subscribed now so I can get your updates. Thanks!

Wow. That is a lot of responsibility! I am impressed with your tween already, lol! Thanks for subscribing! I definitely think this would be a good phone option…and just think, if you get your kiddo a phone and it doesn’t work out – no contract so no problem. :)

21. Wow that’s really cheap compared to what I pay right now ($160 for 2 lines!)!! I’ll have to look into this and see how we can save on our phones!

22. Right now, we are with AT&T and have 4 lines. While we do have unlimited talk & text, we have a set data amount. It too is over $220 a month! I’m going into WalMart this week and totally checking this out! I’ve gone over our set data amount quite a few times and OMG are those fees CRAZY!! This plan would not only cost less each month but I wouldn’t have to worry about going over and then those fees on top of it! Thanks for sharing this! I’m positive my bank account will thank you too :)

Glad to be of service! Fortunately, we haven’t gone over our data limit on our plan *yet* but I must admit that I am terrified of it.

23. We pay $300+/month for cell phones. I need to look into a family plan for sure. I guess that we just kept adding things on without noticing how much we were overpaying in comparison to deals like this.

Wow! That is a lot. Yeah, you definitely need to see if you can go cheaper at Walmart.

24. When anyone in my family needs a new phone it takes so long because the kids need a fashinable phone. Walmart can help with this

Haha! I know how you feel. Kids are awful picky about their phones to not be the ones paying for them. ;)

25. We’ve been using prepaid for a while and are paying slightly more than this plan. I might give it a shot on at least one of our phones and see how it compares and then if we really like it switch both phones over.

Changing phone plans, like any service change, is hard, confusing, and time consuming. I’m glad this was made so easy for you. We have trouble because we want to be able to call any tmobile number. My daughter needs some data minutes but my husband and I don’t. We look for cheap, simple plans. I guess, it’s good that there are so many options for all our needs.

27. I am in no means to wanting to start from the top, but i want to do things step by step if it means opportunities in better advancement and also a career I might enjoy better than a regular desk job. SO ! my main question is – what is the best way to start at this current stage if I am looking to have a change in my career

28. Je m’interroge sur le phénomène des commentaires désagréables provenant des lecteurs non-réguliers.

29. Espero que pueda obtener alguna información con experiencia de los profesionales que han estado allí y lo ha hecho y en la actualidad lo están haciendo en la fuerza de trabajo a partir de hoy. O cualquier gran consejo será muy apreciada!

30. A lot of the commments on this blog show that there is complete ignorance about these things

31. Scusate l’interruzione in questo blog, qualche idea di come possa iniziare il mio thread su questo sito?

32. Hey, ich bin neu, sieht diese Seite wie ein ziemlich cooler Ort zum Tech-Hilfe zu erhalten, so bin ich hier.

33. Bonjour modérateur, je voudrais contribuer à ce sujet. Puis-je le faire? Je préfère poser que dans un autre forum que j’ai fait une belle contribution, mais le modérateur chosed à modérée it out.

34. Quello che mi andrei dare avere un dibattito con voi su questo. Devi solo dire così tante cose che arrivano da nessuna parte che nel mese di abbastanza certo Id hanno un colpo giusto. Il tuo blog è buono visivamente, intendo la gente non sarà annoiato. Ma altri che possono vedere oltre i video e il layout non sarà così impressionato con la vostra comprensione generico di questo argomento.

35. Apple iPod Mondiale fornisce gratuitamente informazioni, opinioni su tutti i prodotti legati al l’iPod di Apple, questi includono l’iPod Classic, Touch, Nano e Shuffle.

Trackbacks

1. […] month ago, my wife told you guys that we would be reviewing a new Samsung Galaxy SII smart phone along with the Walmart Family Mobile Plan. Now, since I am the primary user of this phone, I would […]

2. […] wonderful. Compared to our other carrier, which Dawn is under contract with, it averages out to be nearly $75 a month cheaper if we all switched to the Walmart Family Mobile Plan. Plus, if we wanted, we could take our […]