A Look Back At Mindy McCready’s Music Career

Mindy McCready ~

As many of you may already know, Mindy McCready died on Sunday due to what appears to be a suicide. Her boyfriend also died a month ago and his death is still being investigated. In the 90s, Mindy McCready was a popular country singer and though she has had a troubled life in recent years, including a stint on Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, private rehab, an alleged affair with the married Roger Clemens, child custody issues and more, we are not going to focus on that, but instead focus on her country music career.

Mindy McCready: Ten Thousand Angels

Ten Thousand Angels was a Top Ten hit for Mindy McCready. She also scored another Top Ten hit with A Girl’s Gotta Do {What A Girl’s Gotta Do}. Ten Thousand Angels was also McCready’s first single and the album by the same name eventually went Double Platinum.

Mindy McCready: Guys Do It All The Time

Guys Do It All The Time was the only song to go to #1 for Mindy McCready, making it one of her three total songs that made it into the Top Ten on the country music charts. Though her career lasted only a short while {as far as the country charts are concerned} she did have one double platinum album and sold over 3 million albums total to date. She went on to release 5 albums total, before her death.

Mindy McCready: You’ll Never Know

The video for You’ll Never Know was directed by Dean Cain {of Lois and Clark fame}. McCready and Cain dated and became engaged for a short time, but broke up approximately a year after the engagement. I actually think I like this video the best of all of hers, so good job, Dean Cain.

Were you familiar with Mindy McCready’s music? If so, what was your favorite song?

Dawn is a full time travel and lifestyle blogger. Besides Cheap Is The New Classy, she also owns and writes for EatPlayRock.com, an entertainment site. Her interests include traveling, home decor, DIY projects, organizing her home and enjoying a nice cup of coffee {or two}. She currently resides in North Carolina with her dog, Daisy.

Comments

1. I remember listening to a number of her songs while growing up. Loved them. Poor woman, it sounds like her life was drama-filled. – Katy

2. I actually don’t know her but seems like her life has lots of ups and downs.

3. So sad!! Can’t believe she killed her dog and then killed herself. Poor little babies left behind. They are so young. I heard her boyfriend also shot himself. I think she just wanted to be with him. So sad!!! She attempted suicide four times before this. She was very troubled. I pray for her soul and her little boys left behind. She was so young.

She killed her dog?? What! I had no idea about that. That is horrible.

• Yeah she killed her dog before she killed herself. It’s a good thing her kids weren’t with her at the time she did this or who knows what she would have been capable of doing. Its obvious she was very sick and needed help and support.

You are right. I am so glad that her kids were not home. It’s horrible that she felt that suicide was the only answer, but I can not begin to fathom why she also killed her dog.

Dawn

4. I was born in 1990, so I didn’t know her stuff all that well, but I liked Guys Do It All The Time.
    Her voice was beautiful. She was a troubled woman and I ache for her family and especially her two young boys.

5. im a huge country fan but i dont recognize her. Such a tragedy that she would take her life though.

She was pretty big, but just for a short while. If you tuned out from country music for just a short while, you could have easily missed her. I listen to music in phases, but I happened to be really big into country when she was popular.

Dawn

6. Love that you posted a retrospective. I am afraid her talent will be lost in the tragedy.

I agree. There are a ton of stories about the drama. I don’t necessarily want to keep reading that.

Dawm

7. I listened to her from the very beginning and she seemed to have so much promise. Ten Thousand Angels was good. Guys Do It All The Time was too. She bolted out of the gate with a few great songs . At that time I figured we’d be hearing a lot more from her for years to come…. but then she descended into drugs and abusive relationships. One guy choked and beat her and left her bloody with broken facial bones and unconscious…. she just made some very poor choices and it seems there wasn’t many positive people in her life. He dad had been staying with her until Sunday (the day she died), but had also filed papers in court (I think to have her committed) saying she wasn’t bathing and stayed in bed all day since her boyfriend died. This one top of the fact her children had been taken away and she was the one being investigated in the death of the boyfriend. I am sad to say I am not entirely surprised at the ending, but it is so terrible that she felt she had no other recourse or that she felt she had nothing to live for.. The music world has seen another star’s light extinguished and been deprived or what might have been.

You are right about all of what you just said. She had a horrible life and I feel so sorry for her, her children and anyone else who may have been involved. You just never know what people are going through, even if their life does look charmed from the outside {the music career and popularity in the 90s}. It honestly looks to me like it all started going downhill for her when she and Cain split up and when she lost her first record contract.

Like you, I am not surprised that it turned out this way. She had tried to commit suicide several times before. It was only a matter of time before she succeeded. :(

Dawn

8. Jenna M Wood says:

I didn’t think I was familiar with her music, but listening to the clips I recognize her. What a shame that country music has lost such a wonderful voice!

She did have a beautiful voice. I think I still have at least one of her CDs somewhere. I will have to look tonight or tomorrow.

Dawn

9. I have no idea who she is. I heard something about her passing. It’ always sad to hear.

10. It is so sad to lose a talented artist, and a shame to lose anyone to suicide. My prayers are with her loved ones. I did listen to her music growing up, but it’s hard to pick a favorite.

11. I am not, but it is still so sad, I just want to cry

12. No, unfortunately, I can’t say I was familiar with her at all. Interesting to learn about her though!

13. I find it so sad whenever someone reaches the point where they see the only option is to take their own life. So tragic.

14. Such a sad story! Thanks for sharing her music!

15. Such a tragic story. I did not know of her much, but it was nice to review her music contributions. Thanks for sharing.

16. This is the saddest thing. I feel so bad for her sons!

17. Always a shame when someone feels they don’t have anything to live for and takes their own life. She was another with talent that was just so messed up in so many ways, it really wasn’t surprising news. Sad!

18. yes, very sad. I followed her career growing up too.

19. Tragic. Beautiful voice.

20. I was shocked I didn’t hear this horrible news. I loved her music! It’s sad that she couldn’t get over her boyfriend’s death and all the other problems she had. Well she’s with those 10,000 angels now.Thank you so much for this post remembering her beautiful singing. My heart is just so sad for those two precious little boys and her family. My prayers are with them.

21. It is horrible that when tragedies happen like this, the good things that the person accomplished are usually lost and never mentioned anywhere. Thank you for changing that.

22. I wasn’t familiar with her music, but what a tragedy for her family and those who loved her.

23. This is such a sad story. I saw her on Celebrity Rehab and she really had some struggles to work through. My heart goes out to her boys.

24. I was a Mindy fan in the 90’s. It’s just so weird that she had so many problems and then for it to end like this. She was beautiful and so talented….so sad. :(

25. such an amazing voice. It is so sad how her life was lived.

26. I’m not familiar with her music but it’s sad she was so troubled.

27. It’s always sad when people feel this is their only alternative. Especially when you’re leaving behind young children. My heart goes out to her family.

28. Kelley Johnsen says:

Oh man, this is so sad. I loved her music. It is sad to see how much pain she was in, wish she could have found true peace instead of the route she took. :-(

29. When I read the headline on the news station, my heart broke. I grew up in Northern NJ and I think I was the only one in my family who listened to country. I loved her soooo much. She had such great promise and talent, but with success comes the hard part. May she finally be at rest.