90s Music: The Best Of The Decade

90s music ~

90s music the best of the decade

I graduated high school in 1995. Stop counting on your fingers {and toes} trying to figure out how old I am. I am 36. Anyway, back to what I was saying…when I was in high school, there was some pretty awesome music out. Let’s take a walk down the 90s music memory lane, shall we?

90s Music: Songs Of My Youth

Most of my music revolved around whichever boy I was pining over at the time, so bear with me. :)

Lynyrd Skynyrd – Ah, I loved them. And yes, I know they are not 90s music {they are timeless, in my opinion}. At the time I loved them because of the boy that I loved at the time. He introduced me to their music. He was in a band and I bought their music to feel like I was cooler to him. When our infatuation with each other finally fizzled, my infatuation with Lynyrd Skynyrd did not. They are still one of my favorite bands of all time. And “Sweet Home Alabama,” “I Need You,” and “Workin’ For MCA” remain some of my favorite songs, to this day. I have been to hundreds of concerts but I have never been so excited as when I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd in concert a few years ago.

90s Music: In With The Grunge

Another boy, another band. I used to go away to this school thing every summer. And there was this boy there that I liked {notice a pattern here?}. Anyway, he introduced me to the awesomeness that is the album “Ten” by Pearl Jam.  At any rate, due to my introduction to Pearl Jam, my fascination with grunge music began. I still have Pearl Jam CDs, though admittedly I don’t listen to them much anymore. But it is still really good music. It just didn’t stick with me the way Lynyrd Skynyrd did.

Incidentally, this same boy also introduced me to “Hell Freezes Over” by the Eagles and “Common Thread: Songs Of The Eagles” by various artists {though I already liked the Eagles before I liked the boy. I had just not heard the albums yet}.

90s Music: Country

One of the first cassettes {remember them?} that I ever bought was Brooks and Dunn “Brand New Man.” I loved the song “Brand New Man” and thought the cassette was just awesome, every single song. I listened to that cassette over and over and over. I listened to that cassette until it literally broke. I still love Brooks and Dunn. When they parted ways a few years ago, I actually felt a little sting.

90s Music: Let’s Not Forget Hair Bands

In high school, I also really loved several of the hair bands. My favorites were Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Nelson, Skid Row, Warrant, Poison, Motley Crue and Firehouse. I still have a lot of their music lying around and I have actually seen Def Leppard and Poison in concert in the past few years. I still love them. :)

Other 90s Music That I Loved

That summer after I graduated, I got a job and bought tons of cassettes like Hootie and the Blowfish “Cracked Rear View” and Shania Twain “The Woman In Me.” It was at this time that I also purchased my first CD player {movin’ on up, to the east side…} and some of the first CDs that I purchased were Common Threads: Songs of the Eagles, Tim McGraw‘s “All I Want,” Bon Jovi‘s – “Cross Road” and “These Days,” Def Leppard‘s “Vault,” Live‘s “Throwing Copper,” Bush‘s “Sixteen Stone,” Kenny Chesney‘s “All I Need To Know,” Martina McBride‘s “Wild Angels,” and perhaps most notably {and a little later than these albums}, I bought Tracy Lawrence‘s “Time Marches On” on the very day it was released. I usually don’t run to get an album that fast, I like to see if there is more than one good song on it, but I HAD TO HAVE “If You Loved Me.” And I played it and played it and played it. But, fortunately, it was a CD, so it could take it. ;) Oh, and I could play that baby on repeat, too! SWEET!

In this time period I bought tons of music. I had no obligations, really, so I spent the majority of my money on music and having fun. I amassed a gigantic music collection over this time, but these are the songs and CDs that made a real impression and still stick with me, to this day.

Do You Have Any Favorite 90s Music Or Music You Listened To In High School That You Would Like To Mention?

Mama’s Losin’ It

Dawn is a full time lifestyle blogger that runs the ship that is Cheap Is The New Classy. She loves to do home decor and DIY projects, organize stuff, enjoy a nice cup of coffee and travel. She currently resides in North Carolina with her husband, Jay, teen daughter, Amber, and too many furry {and not so furry} friends to count.

Comments

1. We had 8tracks and records growing up. But I remember my very first personal cassette player in my room! Wow! That was so cool! I didn’t have a cd player till I got married lol And now cds are almost completely gone in my house too. It’s all ipod. Crazy how the medium changes but the music stays the same! Love looking back at music that helped make us who we are!

I will never switch to ipod. My mediums of choice are CDs and records. I like to have something to look at, the cover, the inserts, whatever. I am not going to pay for “air,” lol.

Dawn

2. You are giving your age with that comment Sharon, lol. Of course my comment would be about the same. I still have some 8 tracks in the garage, some albums as well, no way to play them but some things you have to save to prove to your children they did exist, lol. Yesterday was the first day in a long time I listened to music that was not Barney and I just have to say how refreshing it was (no offense Barney).

I have a record player. Bring them over here and we can listen to them! Along with the gigantic record collection that we have!

3. New.Kids.On.The.Block
    REMIXed too :) yes I am a nerd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVpF_c9-cjM&feature=youtu.be

I used to love them too {*hangs head in shame*}. That was more of the late 80s for me, though. Around that time I was listening to Debbie Gibson {LOVED HER!!!!}, Paula Abdul, Def Leppard, Milli Vanilli {sad to see what happened with them}, mainly. :)

Dawn

4. I’ve always been a top 40 music lover..and I’m a child of the 80′s so Madonna was always playing somewhere in the house. :)

You know, I have never been a huge Madonna fan. I did like her early stuff best, though. Now I have “Lucky Star” running through my head. Thanks! And you’re welcome to those that read this and get it running through their heads. ;)

Dawn

5. By the time the 90s rolled around, I was pretty much only listening to punk or alternative. Early 90s, mostly stuff like The Exploited. By the end of the 90s, NOFX was my favorite.

I am not sure I have heard of any of the bands you listed. I love learning about new music, so I might check them out later. Thanks!

Dawn

6. I was a huge Garth Brooks fan for country, and many of the ones you listed above for the other genres. :-)

7. Holy cow! Your list brought back so many memories! But no Spin Doctors? That’s kind of disappointing. :)

You know, I never really listened to Spin Doctors. They did have one song I liked, though… did they sing that song that went something like “If you want to buy my flowers, come on baby?”

Dawn

8. Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam) then and now, best baritone IMO ever ! Have every cd from back then and now, funny because my youngest daughter never missed a concert of Pearl Jam’s when they played within a few hundred miles of us, she was the reason I knew their music, she’s moved on Mom hasn’t, haha :)

Ha! Unfortunately I never saw them in concert, but I also really liked Eddie Vedder when he was with Temple of the Dog. I actually still have that cassette somewhere around here, too, lol.

Dawn

9. When I was a pre-teen it was The Stones, Zepplin, Rundgren, Fleetwood Mac. Yeah, I’m a few years older. I like a lot of music. With the exception of country.

Fleetwood Mac is also one of my favorite bands of all time. They are going to be in concert here local in a few months. I SO want to see them, I never have. :)

10. Jenna M Wood says:

As an 80s child who enjoyed 90s music as a teen, I heart John Cougar and Alanis, they are my musical muses!

John Cougar Mellencamp was my first crush. I remember seeing him on Farm Aid in black jeans and a white tshirt and I was in love. <3

Dawn

11. I LOVE music from the 90′s!!! AWESOME POST!! Makes me want to go find my music now!

12. That brings me back! So much fun :) I love he 90s :)

13. I was lucky enough to get to go to a bon jovi concert! Fun times!

14. I listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd for the first time the other day and fell in love! great music choice :)

Wow! I can’t believe that was your FIRST time hearing them! I don’t know how anyone gets through even a short piece of life without hearing Freebird or Sweet Home Alabama somewhere along the way. :)

Dawn

15. I like how listening to songs brings back so many memories for me. I listened to alot of Country & Western at the time Garth Brooks and Billy Ray Cyrus – whom I seen both in concert. I have always liked most music except real heavy head banging songs

I saw Billy Ray Cyrus in concert a few years ago, when Hannah Montana was really big. My daughter and her friend actually SCREAMED! It was great. I have never seen Garth, but I have friends who have and say he is AWESOME in concert!

Dawn

16. This list is pretty awesome! I was born in 1990 so I know all about the good music ;)
    My favorite is definitely Journey :)

Aaah, yeah. Love me some Journey! And REO Speedwagon and Foreigner. All those type bands. I saw the last two in concert, but, sadly, I have never seen Journey.

Dawn

17. Boy I just took a walk down memory lane with this list! I still love Martina McBride’s Wild Angels and still have me a lot of Pearl Jam in my house.

18. Oh the 90s…I was big into alternative. Nirvana and Pearl Jam are near and dear to my heart.

19. I was a hair bad, heavy metal freak in college! I still love Metallica and could listen to Jane’s Addiction all day long. I graduated in 1992 when country music started to make its comeback. I remember Garth Brooks being a big thing and went through a 6 month country phase which I quickly got over. Now I listen to Carly Rae with my 3 year old.

20. awwww this just took me back! love oldies! :)

21. What a nice walk down memory lane. I can’t believe the 90′s already qualify as the “oldies” Now I feel old. LOL!

22. Great list…though I wouldn’t put Nelson on the same list with Def Leppard and Bon Jovi. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Nelson (past tense). But they are in their own category—maybe really cheesey hair-bands.

Hahaha! It isn’t really a comparison list, per se. It’s just a list of the music that I loved back then – what I thought was the best of the decade {at the time}. But yeah, looking back now, I agree, there is no comparison. :) Firehouse should probably be dropped off, too, of that kind of music. Ah, but how I loved Firehouse and Nelson. ;)

Dawn

23. Ah, the 90s! You brought back some great memories with this post. I graduated high school in 92 and at one point or another liked many of these bands. My favorites were the heavy metal/hair bands.

24. You have great taste! I love Poison, Motley Crue, and Bon Jovi.

25. You brought back lots of memories but I’m an 80′s music fanatic. And I also feel old ;)

26. LOVE this post. I am a huge music fan. Bon Jovi is the my absolute favorite!

Thanks! Yes, Bon Jovi rocks! We have almost all of their albums and even “This Left Feels Right” {which is considered a stinker by many} is still even decent. It’s nice to pay for an album and not worry too much about whether you get your money’s worth or not. :)

Dawn

27. I loved Hootie too, and about that time I was also really into Counting Crows!

The Counting Crows had one song that I really liked but I can’t remember what it is now. I bet that will bug me all day now until I figure it out, lol!

Dawn

28. Its funny you wrote about 90s music because I just recently found a 90s station on my satellite car radio and I love it!

Oh I would LOVE that! We have been listening to a lot of that music that I mentioned since I wrote that post. :) Ah, memory lane!

Dawn

29. Ahh,the 90s! I was born in the 80s, so the 90s was my decade to really explore my musical taste. Alanis, Hootie, Ace of Base, Boyz II Men, Weird Al, Nirvana were all bands that I couldn’t get enough of. But it was the late 90s that really got me hooked. As a teenager, I couldn’t escape the magnetic appeal of Hanson. And to this day, they are still my favorite band, having seen them 18 times in concert. Can’t wait for their new album this year!

Add Comment Register