Allergies stink. No one likes to be sick. I often talk about the fact that I have allergies and asthma. My allergies aren’t really all that bad, but what happens with me is that when I have an allergic reaction, it messes with my asthma and I often end up with a nasty case of bronchitis that can last for weeks. And chronic bronchitis is so bad. Because of this, I try to avoid triggers whenever possible as I am sure many of you do, too. So, today I am sharing with you tips and products that I use in my home to try to combat household allergens. Some of these products were given to me to try and some were paid for. ALL are products that I love and now want to share with you.
Tips & Tricks To Help Combat Household Allergens
1. Take Your Meds – This one can sometimes be hard for me. My doctor recommends that I take meds daily to avoid allergic reactions. Sometimes I forget. And when I do, I generally pay for it. Talk to your doctor. If he/she recommends you take medicine, try as best as you can to follow their recommendations. Be sure to also take vitamins. And don’t forget to make yourself a cute Cruise Themed Vitamin Dispenser.
2. Dust & Dust Often – This one is also a hard one for me. Dusting can literally make me sick. So, others in the family get this chore. But, let’s be honest, no one wants to dust. Getting people to dust for you might be hard. If you can’t get anyone else to do it, you might want to get some of those germ masks they sell at stores. I also find that baby wipes are great to dust with. They are gentle on most things and seem to catch a lot of the dust before it flies back into the air.
3. Use Nasal Strips To Help You Get Plenty Of Sleep – I like to use these after I start having symptoms. It can be tough when allergies bother you all night. But sleep is so important. If you blow your nose a lot during allergy season, your nasal passages can become inflamed, making it difficult to breathe. I have found that using Breathe Right Nasal Strips can help you get a better night’s sleep by opening your nasal passages so you can breathe easier. They are also great to use if you just have the type of nasal congestion that leads to snoring. In particular, I really like the Lavender Breather Right Nasal Strips and the Breathe Right Extra Clear For Sensitive Skin Nasal Strips.
4. Vacuum Thoroughly – I have pets and they can leave fur everywhere. They call them fur babies for a reason. I wouldn’t give up my two dogs for anything, but dander and fur are definitely triggers for me. So, vacuuming often is super important. Right now I am loving the Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Vacuum. What I like best about it is that it is not just for carpet. You can use it to clean your floors, furniture, ledges, stairs, ceiling fans, whatever. The best things about it are that you can pull the canister off to get under hard to reach places like furniture. You can also dump the canister without ever touching one of those nasty bags. And, most importantly for allergy sufferers like myself, the Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away has a HEPA filter which traps 99.9% of dust and allergens inside the vacuum.
5. Change Your Filters – If you are like me, changing your home air filter is something you never think about. With Filter Snap, the filters come straight to your door so that you don’t have to think about it. You just select the quality and replacement schedule that you would like and when the filter arrives at your door, you know it’s time to change it. I have been using this service for a while now and I have to say, each time the filters show up at my door, I am surprised. So I would have never thought about changing the filter myself. But it’s important. Why? Because your air filter helps to protect your entire HVAC system, saving you money and limiting household pollutants.
6. Use A HEPA Allergen Remover – Did you know that you can actively clean the air in your home? We have been using the Honeywell Bluetooth Smart True HEPA Allergen Remover in our home for a while now. What I love is that you can operate it with your iPhone or Android device. It also comes with a free app that lets you set the HEPA Allergen Filter to turn on and off automatically depending on whatever schedule you like including basing it on the conditions in your area. The Honeywell Bluetooth Smart True HEPA Allergen Remover can also alert you to outside pollen and mold levels in your area. And, most importantly, it captures up to 99.97% of microscopic allergens. Oh, and it looks pretty.
7. Stay Hydrated - I love water. But it can sometimes seem like a chore to drink it all day, everyday. That is where Zing Anything comes in. With the Zing Anything Citrus Zinger and the Zing Anything Infusion Set, you can add fruits and vegetables to your water without actually dropping them in the container. Amber is using the Citrus Zinger which allows you to add lemon, lime and clementines to your water. I am using the Infusion Set which allows for the same as Amber’s plus cucumber and kiwi. You just place your fruit or vegetable into the bottom compartment and twist. Easy peasy.
How Do You Combat Household Allergens?
Do you have other tips and tricks to share to help others combat household allergens? Please share in the comments below.