Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner? Hint: The Cat Was Not Impressed

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? Hint: The Cat Was Not Impressed {Raccoon Pictures}

A few days ago, we had an uninvited dinner guest. Amber had told me a few months ago about spotting this little cutie on the deck, but I had not seen and she hadn’t seen it since, so we chalked it up to an isolated incident. Apparently this raccoon seems to approve of the dinner offerings as proven by it eating the food we had just placed in the bowl for the cat. The raccoon snarfed down almost the entire bowl while the cat looked on in horror. Don’t worry. We refilled it for the cat. If this happens again, I will try to get some pics of the horrified cat, too. I must admit that I was too intrigued by the cute little raccoon, though, to think about that at the time.

Uninvited Dinner Guest: Up Close With A Raccoon

I have always been a fan of raccoons, though I can’t say that I have seen all that many {maybe none} up that close. Finally meeting one has proven to me that I was right to be a fan. They are super cute. We always joke that Daisy Baby looks like a “half rac” given her one bandit eye. Luckily, she didn’t see the raccoon as, like the cat, I don’t think she would have been a fan.

I am thinking that the raccoon probably has a few fans in our neighborhood. It seemed surprisingly cool with people. We did not try to touch the raccoon, of course, {and we advise you not to either} but I did open the sliding glass door to get better pictures. This seemed to upset the raccoon for only about half a second, and then it went right back to eating.

Did you know that raccoons cup their food with their little front paws {hands?} and eat like a person might cup water when a cup is absent? It looked so cute eating with it’s little hands. Awwww….

Have You Ever Seen A Raccoon Up Close?

Have you ever had such a close encounter with a wild animal? I would love for you to share your experience in the comments!

Dawn is a full time travel and lifestyle blogger. Besides Cheap Is The New Classy, she also owns and writes for Eat Play Rock and State By State Travel. Her interests include traveling, home decor, DIY projects, organizing her home and enjoying a nice cup of coffee {or two}. She currently resides in North Carolina with her chihuahuas, Puppy Mister and Daisy Baby.

Comments

1. These little guys are so funny! I haven’t seen very many around my house. I think they are adorable. I like in NC too, i’m in Raleigh. Haha, hi neighbor!

Well, hello back, neighbor. We are in Mount Airy, in case you weren’t sure what part of NC I was in. Not too far away at all.

2. You got great shots! And your dog is adorable.
    Our dog and our cat will just watch as the squirrels and chipmunks eat the birdseed, the mole eats from the garden, and the raccoon eats our trash bags when we accidentally leave them outside overnight!

A lot of people are talking about how raccoons eat from their trash. We have ours in a big, sturdy bin supplied by the town for pickup. I guess that’s why we don’t have that problem because they can’t seem to get in there. I think I want to get some birdseed now, though, because I love chipmunks and squirrels! I used to see chipmunks all the time when I went to college and they were so cute.

3. I can honestly say that I have not seen a raccoon up close and personal like that!
    We have raccoons here but they are pretty hard to find here in the sub-burbs.
    My kids would have a fit!

4. Yes, if you leave food out, the little raccoon will be back. They are scavengers. They try to get in our garbage bins all the time.

We rarely leave food out. Maybe I will start doing it more often. I am totally cool with feeding him if he is hungry.

5. Raccoons are so cute. One of my relatives used to have a pet raccoon. He rescued it when it was a baby. We have a lot of raccoons in our area. The cats are not fans.

Maybe that is a universal thing. Cats are just not fans of other animals. To be honest, I am not really a fan of cats. They are so snooty, lol. My husband loves them, though. I am more of a dog person.

6. OH wow, looks like a hungry raccoon. I think they are super cute even though they are little rascals.

7. It is so cute the way they use their hands. They’re so human-like! I’ve never seen one around here though.

8. Jeanine says:

oh man no thanks! they are such pests. and once you take the food away, they’ll destroy everything they can. We have one who sleeps in our tree and I can’t wait to catch it on the ground so that the city will come grab it!

9. My son used to be obsessed with raccoons. He would have loved seeing this one on his porch

10. Wow, that raccoon does not look happy. I would be terrified if I opened my door and saw that outside. Thankfully, I have never had an encounter with a wild animal.

11. What a cute little visitor. It does look happy with dinner. I have never encountered one, but I’d be happy too if I would see a raccoon on my porch.

12. We had a raccoon here try to follow me inside the house. I was a little shocked!!

13. Courtneylynne says:

Omg! Even though I’m the biggest animal lover ever, I probably would of freaked if I saw that guy lol…. You dos get one awesome pic though!

Thanks! I thought he was just the cutest and he didn’t scare me at all. I was too in love with him {or her?} to be frightened, lol.

14. Is it weird that I would love to have a raccoon as a pet? I just think they are the cutest things and they are so entertaining, too. We had a group of them in our backyard when I lived in Montana and we loved to watch their antics.

15. That is quite the surprise haha! You got great pictures – he is a cutie, not what I expected from an up close look with a raccoon!

16. You’re pretty brave to get that close. It does like a cutie, but I would be behind the glass door :-)

17. Funny story everytime I see a racoon I am reminded of my nickname boo game me lol. Never seen one up close and personal though

I don’t think I had seen one that close before either – except maybe at a zoo. It’s long fingers were so cool!

18. Ahhhh what a cute racoon. haven’t seen it personally though. :(

19. Oh no, this is hilarious! He is so cute, I bet he appreciated the meal that you supplied him!

I think he did. We have been watching for him and haven’t seen him again since that day, though. :(

20. I have a friend that is in love with raccoons.. a bit too much. Kind of like I am in with skunks.. oh I just want to hug those little fat guys.

Skunks are super cute. I will give you that. I think it would be nice to hug one that had it’s skunk sacks {or whatever they are called} removed. :)

21. Cute little guy! We are occasionally visited by possums who also like cat food. I put a dish out on our patio for our cats. If a possum shows up to steal their kibbles, they just sit and watch. They know better than to tangle with the sharp teethed wild critters.

22. Oh man, he’s so cute! I forget that they’re destructive and mean, but man they’re adorable!

23. The raccoon looks like he doesn’t want to be disturbed while eating his meal. Cute!