Hoarders – An Upcoming Interview With Matt Paxton #hoarders

Matt Paxton From Hoarders ~

Hoarders

I have exciting news, readers. Next week I will be interviewing Matt Paxton from Clutter Cleaner and the hit A&E TV show Hoarders. Hoarders chronicles the intervention and cleanup of homes of extreme hoarders. I am sure that many of you watch this program. Maybe some of you even know hoarders or deal with this yourselves. How would you like to ask Matt Paxton a question?

Matt Paxton

Image Retrieved From AETV.com

Hoarders Expert Matt Paxton

Matt Paxton is the author of The Secret Lives of Hoarders. I have read this book and it was very interesting to look at this mental illness from the perspective of a person who cleans up homes like this for a living. He began his business, Clutter Cleaner, in 2006 and has cleaned up over 300 of the messiest homes in America. Paxton is my personal favorite on the show because he is just no-nonsense. He has had to clean up things that no one should ever have to mess with, but he just gets right in there and does it. His philosophy is that we all are just 5 Decisions Away from possibly being in the same situation. He doesn’t judge and he doesn’t pacify, he just lays the facts out and gets the job done.

As a person who has a few hoarding family members, I have to say that I have the utmost respect for anyone who wants to come in and try to help. It isn’t easy and the help isn’t often welcome until there is an ultimatum of some variety {whether that be from family members, social services, law enforcement, etc}. Many times it is still a very difficult situation to navigate.

What Would You Ask Matt Paxton?

If you have something that you would like for me to ask Matt Paxton, please leave your question below or you can email it to me at dawn@cheapisthenewclassy.com. I will ask all that I can, but please understand if there are tons submitted and I am unable to get to ask yours.

New episodes of Hoarders can be seen on A&E Monday nights at 9/8C. If you did not see this past Monday’s episode you need to. Seriously. It was the messiest house I have seen them clean up. Ever. I will warn you, though. If you are an animal lover like I am – this is not an easy episode to watch. I can’t imagine what it was like to clean it up. ๐Ÿ™

Dawn is a full time travel and lifestyle blogger. Besides Cheap Is The New Classy, she also owns and writes for EatPlayRock.com, an entertainment site. Her interests include traveling, home decor, DIY projects, organizing her home and enjoying a nice cup of coffee {or two}. She currently resides in North Carolina with her dog, Daisy.

Comments

1. I’d like to know how you identify someone in the “red flag zone” — someone who is potentially a hoarder, or who is headed that way? And what exactly are the differences between someone who could become a hoarder, and someone who just has a lot of “stuff” (not trash, rotten/expired food, animals)?

2. sara m ford says:

You know I think if im not careful I could be come a Hoarder I love makeup and hair care face products but dont use them. I just like to have them crazy right? And that is a sign of a Hoarder

3. Anita Leibert says:

I have personally met a hoarder who had been saving newspapers since her husband died. She had become ill and I was part of a house clean out. I never seen so many newspapers in my life! She had them in dresser drawers, closets, you name it and there was newspapers stacked up there. It was kind of sad since from what I gather, she started saving them because her and her husband used to get a paper together, so I guess it was for that reason she started hoarding them.

4. It is scary for the hoarders, I’m sure. There are good meds to help with OCD. wish more knew about this.

5. Wow!! I always wondered how they handle their sickness as well as their families. Can’t wait to read!

6. I watched an episode one night and it was amazing how clean my house got the next 24 hours! What a great opportunity for you!

7. I love that show! Would ask him what’t the worst he’s ever seen?

8. I am OCD and honestly can not handle watching those shows. My husband has one room that is his – he is a hoarder. The door must be closed and can not be opened where I can see it ever or I will clean it too. I am one of those people that everything has a place and if you do not use it for a year it is out of here to be donated to someone who needs it. I love that they have those shows to help people though. My question would be – how many of the people on the show go right back to hoarding?

9. I have watched the show a few times but it just makes me mad. lol I am one that HATES clutter… I sometimes go around the house and start throwing things away. Then my husband gets mad at me and says “It seems like you only throw MY stuff away!” Well, maybe. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Sarah Muennix says:

That is so exciting hon – I am thrilled for you!

11. I do like to watch this show because I grew up with a parent who was and still is a hoarder onl back then there was not a name for it. I sent you a question through e-mail ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you!

12. Emily Ploch says:

I love this show!

13. I used to watch faithfully. I knew my future MIl was a Hoarder so far nothing has compared on the show to what we have been dealing with for several weeks now! I never knew how much a single wide trailer could hold and we still have more to go!

14. Jo-Ann Brightman says:

As someone who knows a hoarder I am interested in the best way to approah that person about changin his habits and cleaning up. I have not watched this program because I thought it might be too painful to watch

15. I’ve heard about this show but have never seen it. This sounds like a great opportunity for you, though! I can’t wait!

16. When my grandma was still around we called it being a pack rat. Granted some parts of your house you can still walk in. We always just said she used to like her “pretty pretties” lol.

17. I’m afraid that if something every happened to me, my husband might become a hoarder. I have to force him to get rid of things we don’t need, and I’m often unsuccessful. He always thinks we “might need it” even if we’ve never used it or haven’t used it in years.

18. I love watching those shows…they make me feel so much better about my cluttered place, lol.

19. watching that show makes me nervous and anxious…and a little sad LOL Good luck with your interview! You’ll rock it.

20. I am so excited to read your interview with him. I’m too OCD to become a hoarder but have known/still know some people who I believe could fall prey to this disease. Look forward to your post!

21. i haven’t watched that show in a while! It’s ridiculous how some people live.

22. Richard Hicks says:

Unbelievable how some people live. I thought we had a messy house……NOT A CHANCE. LOL!

23. Can’t say I have ever watched this show!! Am I a hoarder? Periodically–then I look around and clear it all out!!

24. What a great show..

25. OMG this is AMAZING!!! I can’t wait to read the interview!

26. I’ve never actually watched this show, but i want to now!

27. I’m always amazed at how bad hoarders can get.

28. What an exciting opportunity for you! Congrats!

29. Cool. I’ve seen that show a couple of times and I can not believe it. I’m not a hoarder but I do like to collect things~!!!

30. Welcome to my mental illness should be the name of the show. How bad is the brain that allows someone to live in that kind of squalor that you see on the tv show. Good to bring it out in the open but in a way I think it takes advantage of those people. Do they get paid for showing their house and the filth they live in?

• Interesting question. I am not sure if they get paid. I do know that they get their house or at least part of it cleaned up, though. I also think they get aftercare {which I believe that consists of therapy, visits with a professional cleaner and maybe some money for house and/or furniture repairs, though I am not exactly sure of this}. Though I can’t speak for clients on the show, in my opinion, I think the help cleaning alone is pretty priceless and would definitely be worth agreeing to be on the show.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

Dawn

31. Ask him how he got into this line of business, and the thing I always wonder when I see him dealing with some of the overly noxious homes…. why is he still doing this? Hasn’t he taken enough abuse already?