Chicken Recipes: Cornmeal Crusted Chicken

Cornmeal Crusted Chicken: Chicken Recipes ~

Easy Chicken Recipes - Cornmeal Crusted Chicken | Cheap Is The New Classy

If you are looking for chicken recipes that don’t involve frying, but you still want that crispiness that you get when you fry your food, then I think you will like this one. This Cornmeal Crusted Chicken recipe is just a little bit spicy, but nothing extreme, so I think that most of you will low tolerance for spiciness will be able to handle this. Since I like might food spicy, I might even add more chili powder next time. Since this chicken recipe gets a nice crunchiness to it, I think you will enjoy this as a healthier alternative to fried chicken. :) My husband is using the leftovers tonight in chicken fajitas.

Chicken Recipes: How To Make Cornmeal Crusted Chicken

To make Cornmeal Crusted Chicken, you will need the following ingredients…

3 chicken breasts (peel off the skin)

2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

Pam Cooking Spray (I use the Olive Oil variety)

Preparation

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pan with Pam Cooking Spray. I used a Pyrex Glass Cooking Dish. As we all know, Pyrex dishware can get expensive. So, I like to pick them up at yard sales during the summer to cover what I have lost in the winter to a hubby with slippery fingers. :P

Mix together the cornmeal, salt, chili powder and oregano. Thoroughly coat the chicken breasts with the mixture and shake off the excess. Place chicken in pan and cook uncovered for 30 minutes. Turn each piece. Cook for another 30 minutes. Make sure the chicken is thoroughly cooked – we don’t want anyone getting sick – and voila!

*This is a variation of a recipe I found in Betty Crocker Country Cooking (2009, General Mills) that I altered to suit my family’s taste. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

What Are Your Favorite Chicken Recipes?

Dawn is a full time lifestyle blogger that runs the ship that is Cheap Is The New Classy. She loves to do home decor and DIY projects, organize stuff, enjoy a nice cup of coffee and travel. She currently resides in North Carolina with her husband, Jay, teen daughter, Amber, and too many furry {and not so furry} friends to count.

Comments

1. I like that it is crunchy!!!! I might do away with the chili powder though (tummy doesn’t like spicy!!) What do you think I could substitute the chili powder with??

• Maybe you could just take the chili powder out altogether and not substitute anything for it. :) I think it would still be really good.

Or, do you think you could handle some black pepper if you want just a little spice?

Dawn

2. Love the look of it and can almost smell it

3. Sounds easy enough, great that’s its not fried!

4. I love that it’s baked and not fried and CRUNCHY! Huge fan of crunch skin on my chicken. Thanks for sharing!

5. My mom used to use cornmeal to bread all the time. I never tried it but this sounds good. Thanks

6. I’m always looking for new ways to serve chicken, as chicken can be found on sale cheap. I really likd cornbread so this recipe will suit me and the family well. Thanks for the recipe its easy to make. I like that its crunchy too . You could add some spice to it with some old bay. Cant wait to try it .

7. Thomas Murphy says:

This sounds so good! thanks for the recipe

8. Charlotte Raynor says:

This recipe sounds really good and maybe even easy enough for me to do. lol Thanks for the great information! :-)

9. Holly Thomas says:

Love the corn meal coating idea!!

10. This sounds good. I like that it’s baked and not fried. I’m not fond of fried foods too much. I can’t wait to try this soon.

11. This sounds great and it’s perfect for my daughter who is allergic to battered chickens (Gluten Intolerance)

12. sara m ford says:

I will have to try this my family loves chicken fried,baked you name it!!

13. Your recipe does sound really good and easy enough to follow, i think im gonna give it a try.

14. This is a good idea. I always have cornmeal around. I will be cooking this soon in different inventive ways. I like to make up recipes as I go along.

15. This sounds good … will have to try it next time we have chicken. Did you use bone-in chicken breasts or boneless?

16. I never thought of using corn meal to coat my chicken. I’ll have to try this =D

17. I am always looking for new ways to serve chicken. Thank you for the recipe.

18. Carolyn A Colley (Griffith, Smith) says:

This sounds so good, thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

19. This looks delicious and I’d love to try it with extra spice and roasted potatoes. It is so cold today I think I’ll give the oven a nice looong pre-heating!

20. We here at my house all love chicken in so many ways. This sounds delicious and I will be making it for my family. I personally like corn bread alot . Thanks for the recipe.

21. I like that it’s oven fried. We generally stay away from deep frying foods. I love hot spicy food.Thanks for the recipe.

22. Sharon Siqueiros says:

Thanks for this tasty,easy recipe!! I’m like most of the others, I really like that it’s crispy but not fried. We love spicy so I’m thinking of using some crushed red pepper in the coating
    Thanks again!
    Sharon

Oh I bet it would be awesome with the crushed red pepper. I might try that, too, if you don’t mind me stealing your idea. :)

• Sharon Siqueiros says:

Hey you’re not “stealing” from me, it’s your recipe hahaha!! I fixed this thursday night and it was delicious!! the red pepper gave it a nice zing! Thanks again so much for the recipe, my husband loved it!
        ~smiles~

23. That sounds and looks good. I’ll have to try it. I would add different type of pepper to spice it up.

24. Maria Iemma says:

Good recipe -I have never used cornmeal but I can imagine it will make the chicken crispy in the oven. I am trying to stay away from fried foods to bring my cholesterol down and this looks healthy and delicious.

25. John Hutchens says:

great idea for alternative to fried chicken thanks for the recipe

26. Jo-Ann Brightman says:

I love the fact that it is crunchy, but not fried. I might add onion and garlic powder to the cornmeal mix.

27. This looks super good although I would do it with chicken thighs too. Hubby would like this as is!

28. Looks delicious, I love chicken

29. I’m making this tomorrow! Though I think I’ll sub out the chili powder for some garlic powder.

30. This looks good and easy…will definitely have to try!

31. Rebecca Parsons says:

I love cornbread but I like to add either cornflakes with it or bread crumbs. Oh and they Pyrex, I recently broke my 13×11 on my foot I think I was more sad about loosing my Pyrex than breaking my toes..

32. ellen beck says:

This looks pretty good I might have to give your version a try. Usually me and cornmeal dont get along well but maybe the way this is baked it just might!

33. This recipe sounds great, although I would most likely take out the chili powder. I love chicken and could eat it every day! I’ll have to try this….. pinned for later!

Add Comment Register